10 sec daily driver

blackbox

Hey guys i was woundering if its possible to build a mid to low 10 sec gn that not very streetable? I just started a very well paying job and would like to start the major car modification. My wife thinks i should buy a new car that i could mod up. I love my buick and don't want to part with it yet. I don't want my car to be a garage car. I love to drive it and would like to continue but with more power. The car is currently a daily driver and never taken to the track. Not that i don't want to just havn't had the time. I know a couple cars that can run 10s and still be very comfortable driving to the grocery store. So my question is should i throw some money into the buick make it nice, or buy another car. Im lookin at a 93-98 toyota supra or a porsche 996 turbo(not the best drag strip car but its a porsche). If i keep the buick i also have a truck, we just do a lot of cruises and car shows out here and would like a all around nice car track and street. Sorry for the long post.

Nothing is cooler than a 10 sec. street buick (except a 9 sec. street buick). Either fix yours up or sell it and buy one that is all ready set up for this. I don't know much about the Supra or Porshe, but I would guess they are more expensive to get into the tens than our Buicks are.

I would take your car with the mods it has, monitor the it on a scan tool and see what its runs at the track. I have met tons of people who never brought their car to the track, who on the first trip to the track are way off in what their expecting. Who knows your car might be off and if its running to its potential (low 11's or so) you might be satisfied with that. I image a low 10 sec buick that you would want turn the boost down, for real street tires/daily driver duty.

Get a 2003 C5 Z06 and put a supercharger on it, alky, LG long tube headers and a tune and it will trap very high mph in the tens.

I have a ten second Buick and a near stock C5 Z06. You can pick up a Z06 for mid to high $20's. I say 2003 because that has the best fuel pump setup of the Z06's and its the 50th year...

Blackbox.

You seem to have a pretty good combo to start with. It should go low 11's as is. But if you want to go faster there are a couple of weak points that need to be fixed. The first is the stock intercooler. Get a good stretch stock location, like maybe a Precison. If you only have a shift kit in your tranny it probably won't last without upgrading to better clutches and hardened shafts, etc. In other words a good rebuild. You will have to up the boost to 23-24 lbs. If you don't already have dual nozzles on your alky I would do that. If your system is from Alky Control then call Razor and he will fix you up for about $35 for the parts you need. If you do all that those Nitto's won't stick well enough on either the street or strip. Get yourself some M/T drag radials, you will see a big difference. They won't last as long as the Nitto's but it's the price you have to pay to get much better traction. I would try those things first and if it doesn't go quite fast enough then you could upgrade the turbo to a 67. Then get the chip upgraded and your set.

Even if you don't do anything you probably can go below mid 11's which means you need a roll bar if you don't already have one or they will kick you off the track until you get one. None of the things I have suggested will change the way your car drives except if you change the turbo it might not spool quite as fast. But that might beable to be tuned out anyway. I would say in round numbers if you do all that except the turbo it problably will set you back about 3 grand. And I have had a roll bar in my 10 second car for years and don't consider it to be any big deal. Besides if later on you decide you don't want the roll bar in there it can be taken out. Just weld plates in where the holes were cut and put in new carpet and no one would know it was ever in there. I hope that gives you some idea of what you can do. I'm sure someone else can suggest another combo to try. Hope that helps.

Hey guys i was woundering if its possible to build a mid to low 10 sec gn that not very streetable?

I'm with you Grumpy--It's very possible to have a mid to low 10 sec gn that not very streetable!--Don't know why you'd want that though...:confused: :biggrin:

My buddy went 11.18 with a pt61...basically the same combo you have except he had a Mease stock location I/C.

If you don't have the knowledge to max out what you have at the track....more , bigger , faster parts will probably make you break.

Start slow and learn how to tune whats there now and you will probably be suprised how much different your car will feel. Then graduate to a crank-killer combo!:biggrin:

Yea, 8AV8 is right. I should have put that in there in my post. When you start going faster than the low 11's to high 10's you are probably going to shorten the life of the motor much sooner. At the least you would want to put in some better rods and a girdle. It will live for awhile if the tune is good, but one hiccup at that power level and it could be real trouble without upgrades.

A few years ago I had a friend that made 4 passes in the 9.90's on a stock block only to discover soon after that he had cracked the block. He had to throw the block away. Building ANY 10 second car is not going to be cheap. Just keep that in mind. It quickly becomes the old "one thing leads to another" problem.

the Buick is a freak'n collectors item man, you'll regret getting rid of it...that's just my opinion...why not just add another car to the family?

You should be able to get high tens with the parts that you have with a good intercooler. Mine has a similar turbo and it has been in the low 10's. It seems like your bottle neck would be a stock intercooler.

10's

it seems you already have most of the parts? at bottom of sig you state it was tuned by anderson. just call him and ask what it will need . he has already worked on the car and should know it best!!! any of the vendors on here can help you.i have used cotton,s and am very happy with the help he has given me.
good luck!! take it to the track and find out what you have first before throwing parts at it. just my 2 cents!!!
keep us posted how you make out!!!

A) Fix your exhaust leak!
B) What is your best time with Anderson-tuned build?--or are you afraid to run it?--or did you , and you're too embarassed to report it??
C) What's your main problem you feel is keeping you from the 10's now??

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have a nice low mile '06 GTO that I bought for a daily driver. Its a really sweet ride, but let me tell you, even with the 400/400 LS2 it doesn't compare to the raw power and fun the GN provides. Also, I'd be looking at $10-12k to put a reliable turbo setup on the GTO, so even though its newer and has serious potential its not cheap to get the same power as the GN has. It probably cost me $2000 in mods to go from stock hp (275hp) to 405/545 (no tuning) in the GN. Just adding alky freed up close to 100hp. You don't get that kind of bang for the buck out of most modern cars.