04 GTP coolant loss into transmission...

mikes86ttop

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
So my daily is an 04 gtp just turned 180k mi, the past couple weeks I've noticed a small coolant leak, overflow remains the same level but the radiator was down about 1 1/2 qts over two weeks. At the same time I checked the trans fluid etc...just as weekly habit and all was well,level was perfect and a nice shade of red as usual, now fast forward about a week. (I've noticed some erratic shifting at any given time throughout the week) Now today drove to work this morning all was well shifted as it should, lunch time the same went for a three mile drive to gas up and shifed perfect. Now I should mention I am not easy on her, she does see full boost and 5k rpm at least a couple times a day...on the way to and from work. So I get to my place and check trans fluid and its way past full. Hmm check my coolant and about a qt or so low. I also noticed the trans fluid was now a weird brown/orange color and foul smelling. So im assuming my cooler in the radiator sprung a leak internally? Causing havoc on the tranny? Again sorry for the jumbled post but I tried to cover as much as i could on my phone...thanks Mike

Pretty rare but does happen. I had to put a GM SRTA in a trailblazer once because the trans cooler leaked and trashed the trans before it was caught. Customer actually had to have it towed in.