03 cobra run

Well that is most drivers with a 5 speed.They think they are johnny racer.I have seen with my own eyes 2 cobras blow and one disentigrate the clutch.All this happened at the track and none of them were even in the 7s(it was 1/8 mile).I am sure there are drivers capable of running these times I havent seen one run yet around here.Myth or not,when I see one get pulled off the track and they have to clean for 30 minutes,I am sure it is blown.I like the Cobra,but the clutch from the factory seems not so great.Best I have seen one run here is 8.2 in the 1/8.Oh and I personally had my turbo "eaten" by my GN I had to dig the turbine wheel out of the downpipe.There goes another of your myths.

BTW before you think I am flaming you,I am not.I am stating what I have seen and I know how powerful they are but most are not anything to worry about with the typical driver.

Tisk, Tisk, Tisk.

'03 Cobras are 6speeds not 5 speeds. Todays cobra reminds me of the GLHS's, Turbo Regals and MKIV supra of their day. Simply a bad ass car that takes little to no money to wake them up.

This is defenitly a conteder on the street.:cool:

My one cobra experience was on the interstate (bad choice for 6v8 fight). I held my own, but he obviously had the upper hand. Stock he is pushing 60more hp than me. For some odd reason i mistaked it in my rearview as a GT. He pulled about a car every 10sec or so, but we both shut down when we knew what was going on. Only comments, nice car, fast car, but put him next to me in the 1/4 and see what happens.

Originally posted by Robes87GN
My one cobra experience was on the interstate (bad choice for 6v8 fight). I held my own, but he obviously had the upper hand. Stock he is pushing 60more hp than me. For some odd reason i mistaked it in my rearview as a GT. He pulled about a car every 10sec or so, but we both shut down when we knew what was going on. Only comments, nice car, fast car, but put him next to me in the 1/4 and see what happens.

Good story. The only thing that I would do to help you next time you race on the road is BUILD BOOST. If I play with a Z06 or '03 Cobra I build about 10psi by dragging my foot on the brake then dump the gas and release the brake at the same time. Then your off without any turbo lag and your in your peak performance range.

Try it and let me know what you think if your not doing that already.

Since I forgot to mention it before......
Great kill, bttwracing!! :D

BTW before you think I am flaming you,I am not.I am stating what I have seen and I know how powerful they are but most are not anything to worry about with the typical driver.

Didn't figure you were flaming and these are not my myths. I got tired of hearing the GN breakdown stories when I had my GN. Everyone I met had a brother's uncle who owned one and blew it up. My car ran 11.8's in street trim and had 117k+ miles on it. It's all in preventative maintenance and a good tune. So after dealing with that for years, I'm already tired of hearing blown Cobra stories. Every car made is going to blow up at the hands of somone... neither the GN or the Cobra is a ticking time bomb.

The clutch is actually pretty good. An adjustable quadrant is highly recommended. Other than that, they hold well until you slip the snot out of them at the track. Unfortunately, this is required to get a good 60' on street tires. Instant low end torque is to blame!

I wouldn't say they're nothing to worry about. With a bad driver, no problem. That's something I miss about my GN; it was pretty hard to not launch well, unless you were completely out of your game. That car always launched hard and straight, time after time! Also noting that 90% of 03s run on 93oct, any TR w/out 116 or alky could get caught with their pants down.

'03 Cobras are 6speeds not 5 speeds. Todays cobra reminds me of the GLHS's, Turbo Regals and MKIV supra of their day. Simply a bad ass car that takes little to no money to wake them up.

Couldn't agree with you more

Sorry guys yes im at 5500ft

ive notice at least every car na or blown is 1 full second off

i dont doubt their ability i just yet to see one here to worry about and i do run slicks on the street and alky with pump gas so im always ready though i wont race anything unless exotic waste of alky

the combo is new in my sig

i ran a 12.4 @113 old combo pump-alky
1.9-60ft

im sure to be in the 11s i hope

Johnny

Originally posted by il_wolf_li
I have a friend with an '03 Cobra and he has about $750 into the car on top of what he got it for and it put down 513rwhp and 480rwtq with a 50 shot of nitrous to cool the air. He hasn't gotten out to race with times yet because of his work schedule. Once the car stops spinning it pulls damn hard, they have weak rearends that break pretty easily which sucks. Anyways....

good kill

Brian

I find 513rwhp and 480rwtq a little hard to believe with just a 50 shot?
What else has been done to the car? Are they not 390hp at the crank stock?

Well anyway that kills my 371rwhp and 491rwtq:D

Good luck on your way to the 11's, badboy! That 54 is a good turbo.

The gains from a 50shot are usually bigger than 50hp due to forced induction. These cars are also underrated from the factory, just like the GN was. I've seen everywhere from 350-380rwhp, stock. Not to mention, pulley/chip/catback/filter/chip will net you 440-470rwhp and 460-500rwtq, with the right chip. A lot of guys are using a 30shot Compucar "gymbag" system to ward off heat soak from run to run. Thought about trying it, but I'm not a big fan of nitrous. Filling an alky tank was enough hassle for me. I'd go crazy filling bottles!!

Things I can think of now that the car has is a lightning pulley, computer chip, removed mufflers (cats only) and the little nitrous kit. I think that the shot is considered roughly a 50 shot... 41 jet ... it is before the blower so it cools the air down considerably.

Brian

Any chance of any of these Stangs making it to Noble this year on Oct.25th for the Buick vs Ford Shootout???

I don't think my friend will be making it to Noble for the race, we are up in WA state and didn't even know of the race. This winter he is doing a rearend swap and looking at getting a Twin Turbo kit for it also... :eek:

Brian

Originally posted by il_wolf_li
I don't think my friend will be making it to Noble for the race, we are up in WA state and didn't even know of the race. This winter he is doing a rearend swap and looking at getting a Twin Turbo kit for it also... :eek:

Brian

Checkout www.okbuicks.com it's one of the best Buick vs Ford Shootouts anywhere!

Originally posted by stroked347
someone will knock you off the high horse and shatter your TALL ego;)

Listen you little crybaby,Why don't you come on down and do it.Then after I hand your turd its a$$ somebody can call the WAAAAAMBULANCE for you.

I believe he just called you out. BTW BTTWRacing is my brother and I think that with slicks that cobra would pick up 6 tenths, and making that a good ol fashion hoe down. We'll see, were going back to the track friday and that 03 cobra is a buddy of mine, i saw the whole thing. nice run

ummm

ok i got a couple thing to say bout all this 03 cobra good or bad driver with a supercharger and all stock tires and all should be a hell of alot fast than that. 2nd the guy that was talking about NOS for the cobra whats the point of that its fake power thats it. i have no pulleys no NOS and everything i bought for the car has been a very minor upgrade i got the lunatati cam because i needed a cam so why not go with more than stock for a few $ more pretty much everything on the car was there when i bought it and there the most minor upgrades with $7000 in the car i am thinking hell for the extra $28000 i can be 6's in the 1/4 easily. the gns are the best car to mod becast you pay maybe $10000 for a nice gn then mod it $24000 and then play money wise. cobra $$$$ for $$$$$ can hang for nothing

Hell if we are just going to talk about the best bang for your dollar setup then lets look at my Mustang. I paid $3600 for it used (from the original owner, 50y/o lady), I have put $4700 into it and have ran 11.12@124 so far and it is mainly setup for turbos. So lets see here, you have a stock $10,000 GN and I still have another $1700 to play with until I reach your buying price for a good condition GN. See kind of how this is all pointless to talk about? If you want the best bang for your buck and have to do some substantial mods then of course you would go used. The main thing about buying an '03 Cobra is that you get a mid-low 12 second car (we all agree it depends on driver and elevation) with a WARRANTY! Do about $500-750 worth of mods like my buddy and you are putting down over 500rwhp. Of course many of these things void the warranty, but so far what he has done wouldn't take him but about 2 hours to swap back to stock. You talk about him running nitrous....its like a lot of GN guys on here that run water/alky setups, he isn't spraying a lot, just enough to cool down the incoming air and it works awesome. Wait a couple years until the warranty is up and you will see many of these running around, and they will not be a car you will want to deal with lightly. They have been out 1 year or so and the fastest one is running 9.5 with a basically stock shortblock and heads, different blower (going to read the article later today to find out for sure).

Brian

Let's face it..... they're both amazing cars. The 03 Cobra is doing today, what the GNs did in '86-'87. There's no point in talking about how much money you have in a project. Anyone can spend as little, or as much, as they want. You can buy a rust bucket Regal, drop in a low-mileage LC2, add some more parts, and have 10sec car for under $5k. Of course, that's on race gas and slicks, not to mention 16-17yr old parts. Or you could use the same formula with a 5.0, or any other car. As far as mod money goes, I've only spent ~$700 to have a car capable of 11s on stock radials (probably mid-11s on DRs). There is no new car, right now, that can match the Cobra in bang for the buck and all-around performance. ZO6 is a lot more money, as are mods. The SRT-4 and EVO are pretty hot, but they sure aren't going to run 9's in street trim with as little money as the Cobra. Just be glad we have cars like these that we can own, modify, race, and enjoy!!
I agree with the comments on nitrous. Not a big fan of it myself, simply b/c I like my car running the way it does no matter where I'm at. As mentioned above, 30-50hp shots of juice are no different than TR guys running alky. Besides, you don't need giggle gas to run good times with the Cobra. The guys in the 9's are certainly using small shots, but many in the 10's don't spray at all. That's a 10sec car, on pump gas, with no nitrous.
And saying "03 cobra good or bad driver with a supercharger and all stock tires and all should be a hell of alot fast than that" doesn't make much sense. Mid 12s (with a good track and driver) on stock radials isn't enough?! I realize we've all seen a lot of bad drivers. All I know if that my car ran high 12s outta the box, and it was my first time ever at the track with a stick. That tells me mid-12s were in there somewhere.
This is obviously a Turbo Buick website, and the TR should certainly be king on this site. But the Cobra definitely deserves some common respect between car enthusiasts...... especially owners of such amazing machines like TRs and Cobras.

And I don't think "$28000", "6's in the quarter", and "easily" should ever be in the same sentence!! ;)

JMHO :cool:

wolf...... the 9.5 car you are referring to is the yellow Biscamp-owned, Strictly Performance-tuned, 03 Cobra. The car has a stock longblock with a Kenne Bell, ~100 shot of juice, headers and exhaust, stick axle, and an automatic. Last I heard, they're looking for 8's next year! :eek:

You guys are missing the best reason the GN is better than the Cobra - Insurance. Insurance on my GN is like 30 bucks (and Vicious V6 could probably back me up on this), the Cobra insurance will kill you every month. Got to love a fast car with non-fast insurance:D