Sloppy Steering

Did you look at the steering system. With the car parked and someone shifting the wheel left and right a few degrees. Any play should be easy to see or feel.
The rag joint is only a problem if it's broken. A fresh one is as tight as any universal joint. I also do not like to omit the slip joint with these aftermarket shafts. When a body sitting on rubber bushings and the front left frame horn are wiggling around. Nothing in the steering box or column is ready to deal with length change.
Yes, I had my son move the steering wheel while I checked for play. It's one of the most confusing things I have ever seen. As soon as the wheel is moved, I can see the shaft and wheel start to move which seems like it would be perfect. I also checked the steering wheel itself for any play side to side, or up and down. Everything is new and seems to be adjusted correctly. I even went through and re-torqued all bolts including the steering box to frame. Nothing I do makes any difference, and I can't find anything else in the front end that could cause it, plus everything is brand new.
And as Chuck mentioned, my shaft has the slip joint built in also.