ZDDP question

I do zddp Plus for every other oil change, but I use a high zinc oils and change every 500-800 miles..

When I had my 71 Buick 350 built ZDDP was builder recommended on top of the initial cam lube. Used it for 5 years at every oil change with Super Tech oil (also recommended) and I can't say it helped but I do know it did not hurt. Engine never developed any lifter noise, leaks or issues other than the crappy rubber valve cover gaskets leaking.

What oil do you guys use for regular oil changes? My guy highly recommends using the Valvoline racing oil VR1 20W-50 with a Napa filter. Says that's all he uses. My motor was rebuilt twice! First build lasted 13 miles! So I'm not changing anything. Went to get oil in anticipation of the first oil change, and my cost(commercial acct)was almost $7 a quart! BUT, the store was blowing the stock out and it was clearanced out at $3.75. My question, what other oils do you guys use? I heard Royal Purple also has something similar to the Valvoline VR1 oil. Do you guys always add the zinc additive? If you don't, do you get premature wear?
WP_20160207_076.jpg

That particular oil already has additive, does it have enough depends on who you talk to. Thats the oil i run in my car, along with the zddp. To many opinions on this, go with what your engine builder says to use.

What oil do you guys use for regular oil changes? My guy highly recommends using the Valvoline racing oil VR1 20W-50 with a Napa filter. Says that's all he uses. My motor was rebuilt twice! First build lasted 13 miles! So I'm not changing anything. Went to get oil in anticipation of the first oil change, and my cost(commercial acct)was almost $7 a quart! BUT, the store was blowing the stock out and it was clearanced out at $3.75. My question, what other oils do you guys use? I heard Royal Purple also has something similar to the Valvoline VR1 oil. Do you guys always add the zinc additive? If you don't, do you get premature wear?View attachment 273627

thats the oil to use IMOP. thats what my builder says to use and if something happens to the motor he will be rebuilding it so i will do as im told. as for filters thats another topic but napa filters are quality for sure

If you are not using a flat tappet cam, you don't need it. If you are, not not sure why anyone would a flat tappet on a rebuild, or you still have the stock cam, then ZDDP Plus with whatever oil you like. I used regular Castrol, half dino, half syn, and ZDDP at every oil change the last 10 or 15 years.....Broke crank due to other reasons, not oiling related, torn down motor and everything looked fine, even the dredded #3 exhaust lobe. I have been using Comp 980 springs also so the valve springs were not worn out.
Every engine now days and probably for the last 20 years has used roller cams, EPA has been mandating stricter and longer emissions warranties, I think its now 100k miles...its the heavy metals in the oils that was burning up the cats, so they have been eliminated in modern oils...heavy metals are required for flat tappet applications...so not just turbo Buick motors, but any engine you have or old car you have needs to have ZDDP added at every oil change to have the proper heavy metals needed for those lifters.

Use a napa GOLD filter (or Wix). Both are made by wix and are some of the best disposable filters on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk