Z28........................

C

Captain Mark

Coming home from the parts store Saturday night. Where I live, if you need a part on a Saturday night, you have to go about 15 miles....anyway, I'm on the highway doing about 65. It is about sunset. A 3 or 4 year old Z28 passes me....not driving fast, just passes me. The guy and his wife are really looking at the Buick. I've got the top down as usual. So I decide to see if he wants some. I get in behind him and follow him kinda close. We weave in and out of some traffic. Once he is in the clear, he gets over in the right lane and waits for me. I get to about a car length behind him in the other lane and he floors it. I floor it also and it is on! We take off from about 65 mph. We stay dead even until about 130-135. I guess he ran out of steam. Suddenly I gain on him. I pull up even with him, look over and give him the thumbs up. Cars ahead so we have to back off. The guy looks like he was about 60 years old! He had a HUGE grin on his face, he must have enjoyed the fun. I don't think his wife was as happy as he was about it. He looked like he had Borlas on the car, I don't know about any other mods. I wonder if it was his kids car? If it is, I wonder if he would be mad if he caught his Dad racing it!:p

So basically, your top was down and he was about a car on you when you both hit.?? Then you reeled him in with the top down and wind-drag. Sounds like a good-one to me. A fine example of Buick power.:cool:

good pull!

Staying w/f body up to that speed is damn good! My wifes 95 Z hits OD @142 or so w,2.73 gears,3.42 hit OD@120 and they really fly on high speed.
That "brick" of yours gotta lotta power!!!! Nice run!!!

"took five years off his wife":D

Thanks boys, nothiong like a 2.56 rear end with 500 ft. lbs. of torque and 450 horses!

Nothing like a Buick motor! hmmmmmm.....wonder if I could fit a turbo in there?

under that hood, i am sure you could put 4 turbo's under there...and an intercooler or two :)

nice run!!!!!!

dan

Very Nice Kill! I'm starting to miss my big block days. Many people see a Big Block Buick and underestimate the top endpower. That 3rd gear pull will kill most F-Bodies in their strong point, and if it's got an M-21, it's all over. :cool:

When I had my 430 in a beat up '70 Skylark 4-door I wasted a '98 Camaro SS from a 60mph roll and did not let off until I buried the needle. (About 130mph) I slowed down to get the look on his face as he passed by. :eek:

The beater had a '69 430 w/ ported heads, Lunati cam (it was the club cam) TA rockers & adj push rods, Crower double valve springs and lifters, TRW Forged pistons, (10.5:1) stock rods, stock crank, stock intake & exhaust manifolds, Q-Jet, 2.5" dual exhaust, '67 TH400 Switch Pitch w/ a '64 Skylark converter, 3:42 posi, & Stage 1 rear control arms and swaybar. This setup now resides in my sisters '68 Skylark custom.

Sounds like a sweet ride. How humiliating for someone to get beat by a '70 4 door 'Lark!
There is nothing quite like the sound of that big block motor at about 5000 rpm!
Wish I had that switch pitch tranny.

Tranny

I found the tranny stashed under a early 80's Hinda Civic. It was $45 because they had a 1/2 price sale that day. Talk about luck! With the '64 Skylark torque converter I got about 3000 stall with the switch on. It stalls at about 1500 with the switch off.

Don't know, I haven't run it yet. I would estimate in the 13's. All I know is that it hauls a$$ on the top end! I amy keep it this way, it's kinda fun.

Nice run! Had a chance to buy a '70 GS350 convertible awhile back but no cash. Maybe someday :)