Your turbo Should not Eat Plastic! ( pic inside )

peterkin

..it isn't rocket science
This is what happened to my TA-54 after eating part of my inlet clamp at WOT ( 22psi ). I don't know how big the piece was, but all I heard was a " cha chunk " and the car went from whistling as a turbo shoule to whining like a supercharger. It still made 17 psi and pulled good! :D

The Turbo

***FOR THOSE WHO WERE WONDERING***

I used RTV because I didn't have gasket, and I didn't want a leak there taking in unmetered air, but that wasn't what it swallowed!

OUCH

But I have to ask, how does this happen? Inlet clamp? Isn't that on the outside of any tubing you have? I just don't get how it happened.
Sorry to see that damage though, ugh

the clamp that i was using used rubber under it to help seal. if i find it i'll take a picture of it. it looks like tin on the outside of it and it's got a rubber/plastic lining under the metal. the rubber/plastic piece under the bottom of the metal had a lip on it. that lip looked like it got hot and dried out, came off and went through the turbo.

I had the exact same thing happen to me last year, trashed my te-34. It just give me an excuse to get a bigger turbo though.:D While I was it it I switched to Hose Techniques silicone inlet hoses and clamps so it diddn't happen again!