XFI startup timing tearing up starters?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
My friend's (88ZNX) car eats starters for lunch..... he has run big ones... little ones... mini's.... the $99 mini..... etc.... they initially crank the car OK.... then they don't sound so good while cranking..... 2 different engines.... 2 different flywheels.... seems like the engine kicks back sort-of.... and it just takes the starter out...after several of these episodes....

At the NAT's.... he (88ZNX) was talking to one of the guys selling the $99 starters... and he was complaining that the XFI box had too much cranking timing .... and that was tearing the starters up.... because he doesn't have any issues other than perople with the XFI......

Initially... I thought he might be on to something.... so I looked at our timing table...it is 12 deg....on the cell that gets looked at for cranking....

Now I'm thinking what else could cause this....maybe I need to change the value on some of the surrounding cells....to 12 also... like it might be getting some influence from those cells?

Any ideas?

When a guy selling $99 dollar starters tells you a fully programmable controller has too much cranking timing, it's time to find another starter sales associate.

Not to mention that at cranking speeds, the system is typically configured such that the CCCI module operates in bypass mode, meaning that the ECU doesn't even control spark timing during cranking.

Verify your rotor phasing

Will do... might be a little while til I get a chance....got some other items that must go on/be replaced before I get back to curing the starter eating issue....

When a guy selling $99 dollar starters tells you a fully programmable controller has too much cranking timing, it's time to find another starter sales associate.

Not to mention that at cranking speeds, the system is typically configured such that the CCCI module operates in bypass mode, meaning that the ECU doesn't even control spark timing during cranking.

This car has done that with both the CCCI setup.... and post conversion to distributor.....

Thanks guys for the suggestions....