XFI - Alky Logging

Justa6MB

XFI newbie... Wanting to configure my alcohol transducer to log alky pressure. Using an existing sensor from Razor and tried to follow this thread: http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/alky-pressure-xfi-logging.384254/
However it's not working. Questions. In aux analog sensor settup I've got aux analog 1, aux analog 2, pan vac, then alky psi. In alky psi I used the sensor settings in this thread. I also read on a different thread that I should be able to read the sensor somehow? But I can't see that anywhere while connected to the xfi. I'm using v2.05.

There is a detailed explanation in the help section. Basically start by reading the raw voltage the sensor is putting out. You do this by putting the following values in:
Gain=1
Offset=0
Sensor high=5
Sensor low=0
Decimal places=2
Doing this will tell you if it's wired correctly. Once you know the voltages for two known values. You can do the math to determine the sensor gain and offset

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

XFI newbie... Wanting to configure my alcohol transducer to log alky pressure. Using an existing sensor from Razor and tried to follow this thread: http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/alky-pressure-xfi-logging.384254/
However it's not working. Questions. In aux analog sensor settup I've got aux analog 1, aux analog 2, pan vac, then alky psi. In alky psi I used the sensor settings in this thread. I also read on a different thread that I should be able to read the sensor somehow? But I can't see that anywhere while connected to the xfi. I'm using v2.05.
I don't know how far you have gone. But just in case you can double check some of this stuff.

In the XFI help menu is the pin-out chart for the XFI plug connector. This will show you the pin locations for the 5 volt inputs for all the aux sensors (C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C17, C18, C19).

Pick an unused one for your new sensor.

Wire your 5 volt supply from the XFI (C24) or take it from another 5 volt wire in the harness. Wire the input wire to the aux of your choosing (C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C17, C18, C19) . Wire the ground to the XFI aux ground (C11).

Now go ahead and add every one of the sensors to a dash showing the RAW VOLTAGE. Pick them out one by one on the listing. Including Oil, fuel, pan vac, etc. Do this just In case you picked the wrong pin-out (or forgot which one you picked). Unless your wire work is a complete mess, one will likely show up showing a voltage of some kind. You should notice a low voltage (.5 or so) on one of those sensors when you open the dash.

Push the alky button.

The one that shows voltage increase is the one! (y)

Now, rename it after me (proper spelling below in my signature). Or just call it Alky PSI.:)

Now enter the data as described in other posts and as explained in the XFI help menu.

I'm sure I left some stuff out. But I hoped I helped a little.

Ok thanks for the info, I'll be working in it tomorrow again. Oh and I forgot to ask one more thing. I seem to be missing help button functions. When I click index, help or check for updates nothing happens. So I've got no help options. I wonder if I need to update my C-Com WP XFI 2.0? So

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok thanks for the info, I'll be working in it tomorrow again. Oh and I forgot to ask one more thing. I seem to be missing help button functions. When I click index, help or check for updates nothing happens. So I've got no help options. I wonder if I need to update my C-Com WP XFI 2.0? So

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try re-downloading the software from XFI's website. I don't know a damned thing about computers. But it sounds like something didn't get a chance to complete.

All right, so now I've got the help menu which is way more gooder... But still having trouble. I traced the alky transducer wire to C15 or "analog aux input signal 4". I then went into aux analog sensor setup and chose the 4th sensor down in the drop down menu - which was named alky psi. Entered gain offset etc as above. Added all the aux input sensors to dash, connected and the alky psi show .02 to .04 volts, and no change when hitting the alky button. I then checked the voltage on the outside of the pin on the xfi and it reads .5--volts, and when I hit the alky spray it jumps to 2.--volts. Obviously it should be reading the raw sensor voltage of .5 right? Also it appears we've got analog 1 and 2 for oil and fuel then 4 should be alky. But when I go into dash setup I've got oil psi, fuel psi, alky psi, then aux analog 1, aux analog 2, aux in 4, 5 & 7. So is that what's going on? Shouldn't oil be aux analog 1 and fuel aux analog 2? But also they aren't named that way in the sensor setup. I'm confused o_O

You can name each analog input whatever you want. Just click on the second box down when you're editing analog 4 values and input the correct name. The analog 4 values are the 4th analog sensor from the top in the drop down menu regardless of what it's labeled

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

All right, so now I've got the help menu which is way more gooder... But still having trouble. I traced the alky transducer wire to C15 or "analog aux input signal 4". I then went into aux analog sensor setup and chose the 4th sensor down in the drop down menu - which was named alky psi. Entered gain offset etc as above. Added all the aux input sensors to dash, connected and the alky psi show .02 to .04 volts, and no change when hitting the alky button. I then checked the voltage on the outside of the pin on the xfi and it reads .5--volts, and when I hit the alky spray it jumps to 2.--volts. Obviously it should be reading the raw sensor voltage of .5 right? Also it appears we've got analog 1 and 2 for oil and fuel then 4 should be alky. But when I go into dash setup I've got oil psi, fuel psi, alky psi, then aux analog 1, aux analog 2, aux in 4, 5 & 7. So is that what's going on? Shouldn't oil be aux analog 1 and fuel aux analog 2? But also they aren't named that way in the sensor setup. I'm confused o_O
Add all of the aux sensors to the dash...... All of them, including Oil and Fuel.

I tell you this so you can see which one it might be no matter what it's name is. At this point, you just want to see a sensor voltage change. Some sensor, or any sensor!

I'm giving you this advise because when I first did this, I spread the job over a few days of doing other things. And I couldn't seem to remember what the hell I did. And to make things worse, I also wired stuff in the wrong way. When I finally got the electrical work right, I couldn't find it anywhere. I had already tucked the box and harness away neatly and didn't want to pull it all out and apart to see what pin-out I used.

When you find the one that changes with the push of the alky button, then that's the one you are using and rename it accordingly. Weather you named some other aux sensor Alky PSI in the past, or if it's called Oil, or Fuel, or Mary Poppins, it doesn't matter anymore. Just start over and rename the one that changes raw voltage when you hit the alky button. Then do as Cal has outlined above..... On the pull down menu, under aux analog sensor setup, Click the down arrow to select the sensor that you found to show voltage movement during your alky test, Click in the "edit sensor name" box, change the name, then hit "OK'.

Also, this is where you plug in all the other numbers as well. After you have successfully found and renamed the sensor, you can now remove all the other unused sensors and add it to your dash permanently. It should read PSI accurately now with the proper numbers punched into the gain, offset, and high/low limits.

If none of the sensors change raw voltage when you hit the button, then your problem is in the electrical work. Or the alky isn't working. But even this shouldn't happen. Because you should at least see a low voltage on the sensor somewhere around .5 volts even when there is no alky pressure.

When you find the right one, be sure to also go back and un-name any sensors you are not using. This way you don't accidentally add a useless dead aux to a dash.

I hope this is close to answering your questions.

Well 1 step forward and 2 steps back :mad: So first the good news. You were right, I was less right... I added ALL the related sensors and sure enough EGT2 responded when I pushed alky test. So double check and also sure enough the transducer was actually in pin C16 - aux analog 5... So I rename it, add the sensor gain and offset. Everything seems awesome. Try to start the car and it won't run!!! WTF... It would run but not idle. Then after checking a few things, letting it run under part throttle, now it is idling high. I did spray some alky in the up pipe last night without it running? Other than that nothing but playing with the analog sensors. I then pasted my saved entire ccom folder off a flash drive which put the sensor info back to square 1. And still no change, idling at 2000 rpm. Any ideas? Has to be related right/

Well 1 step forward and 2 steps back :mad: So first the good news. You were right, I was less right... I added ALL the related sensors and sure enough EGT2 responded when I pushed alky test. So double check and also sure enough the transducer was actually in pin C16 - aux analog 5... So I rename it, add the sensor gain and offset. Everything seems awesome. Try to start the car and it won't run!!! WTF... It would run but not idle. Then after checking a few things, letting it run under part throttle, now it is idling high. I did spray some alky in the up pipe last night without it running? Other than that nothing but playing with the analog sensors. I then pasted my saved entire ccom folder off a flash drive which put the sensor info back to square 1. And still no change, idling at 2000 rpm. Any ideas? Has to be related right/
Wow! I'm glad you got the sensor stuff all worked out! Nice going!

But I don't think the work you did is related to your idle problem. Unless you somehow messed up or loosened a wire connection somewhere. But nothing you did should have changed the tune.

I don't know if this is what is happening to you, but the best I can do is share my experience. I also chased an idle problem back about 2 years ago. Drove me crazy for about 2 weeks! I would adjust the idle screw, until my IAC would be in the high teens, then re-scale the TPS. I did this every damned day. Then sometimes I would do it only to find I had to do it later when the car warmed up and again when the car cooled down. It didn't make sense. Sometimes it idled high showing zero IAC percent. And sometimes it stalled or hardly would idle at all showing full IAC.

Turns out the IAC was shot. It would work intermittently or not at all.

I think the alky can kill the IAC over time or if drenched and allow to sit. But I have not known anyone other than me say or confirm this. But no big deal. I just changed it and moved on.

My IAC died right after a bunch of alky was sprayed in (due to dead battery and old alky controller). Replaced with Chinese IACs and these seemed sensitive to alky also. In the meantime it took out my XFI IAC driver and had to get it repaired. Your symptoms seem like just what I experienced. So hopefully nothing serious and maybe just IAC.....

My IAC died right after a bunch of alky was sprayed in (due to dead battery and old alky controller). Replaced with Chinese IACs and these seemed sensitive to alky also. In the meantime it took out my XFI IAC driver and had to get it repaired. Your symptoms seem like just what I experienced. So hopefully nothing serious and maybe just IAC.....
Nice to know I'm not the only one who arrived at this conclusion.

I believe if this is something that can happen from time to time to me, then it may be even more likely to happen to most of you more often than I.

My IAC is located at the top of my throttle body (90MM Acufab). Where as many of you have the stock style throttlebodies, so when you prime the system at idle it may pool into the air passage and go through the plunger. This may add a little more risk.

But like I said earlier, I just changed it and moved on. Now that I know what to expect, it's more than worth the trouble.

Well we're all smiles :) Changed out the IAC and it appears everything is working great. Good learning experience for me! And thanks a lot for you help guys with getting my Joey PSI transducer all fixed up :D

Well we're all smiles :) Changed out the IAC and it appears everything is working great. Good learning experience for me! And thanks a lot for you help guys with getting my Joey PSI transducer all fixed up :D
You named your sensor after a baby kangaroo?:jawdrop: