WTF with the NewTiming Cover!

John N

My damn iPhone decided to freak out after the latest and greatest 2.0 update. Lost all my data and contacts, and more important right now, the ability to upload pictures! Use your imagination. The oil pump gears that are supposed to be flush with the bottom of the oil pump area molded into the front cover stick out a good 3/16" or so on my new NAPA cover. Did all the extra drilling and deburring and general clean up on the new front cover and then I slid a gear in and take a giant step in the wrong direction. WTF! Comparing the new cover to the old one it seems there was a block added on to the mold for the original cover to lengthen it. The new cover did not have this additional length molded in. I'm going back to NAPA tomorrow, but does anybody know anything about this?

Hazah! The phone sort of works...

NEW cover
GNcover1.jpg

OLD cover
GNcover2.jpg

So the old front cover is probably a high volume cover? I thought that could be it, but the cover looked so damn old and beat I figured it was original.

Your front seal is in backwards,look at the spring. You need a different seal should've come with the cover. You use stock gears and you cover problem is gone.:smile:

Yeah I plan to order some stock gears tomorrow. I heard the high volume covers were junk and that would explain why it cracked and leaked oil I suppose. I have about 3 more crank seals. Don't ask why I installed it that way. I just don't know :( Thanks for the help guys. If I have a leak-free Buick once the motor is back in I will be ridiculously happy.

Napa front cover

Make sure your filter bolts adapter correctly to the cover. I bought one not to long ago whent threw the trouble of drilling and cleaning up the ports just to find that it drilled right for the adapter.:( :frown:

I appreciate the offer for the gear, but I was able to buy new ones over the counter today thankfully. I looked at the crank seal and it seemed to only fit on the cover that specific way, but I put on a different seal that came with the cover anyway. Everything went together well and I got it on the motor today. 1 thing down and still nowhere near driving it!