wrong firing order?...PLEASE HELP!

87Kevin

Hi there, not sure if im posting in the right place or not, but maybe someone can help me out. I'm somewhat new to engines, so please forgive my lack of
knowledge. I got this project Im working on with a 1984 Buick 4.1. The firing order is 1-6-5-4-3-2. When i bought it, the #6 and #4 wires were switched, so the firing order was 1-4-5-6-3-2. So I switched it back to normal (1-6-5-4-3-2) I started it up and that side of the engine (left side) started to knock, sputter, and after about a min, started to lightly smoke, yet it sounds/runs fine with it firing at 1-4-5-6-3-2. I'm so lost on this one. Does anyone have any idea why it smokes when the firing order is correct, yet runs well when its off? I dont want to run the engine any more untill I figure this out...
Did the previous owner know something I dont?
Could the wires be switched for a reason?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
-Kevin

The 1-6-5-4-3-2 is the right firing order so the engine should be running fine when it's wired that way.

Where is the guy you bought it from so you can ask him why he wired it differently?

You didn't say what model of buick this engine is in, but maybe this link will help in some way.

1984 Buick Firing Orders