Wow I really don't know how to tune with alcohol!

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
I went to the track last night and tried running my new combination on 93 octane and my dual nozzle SMC kit with 100% denatured. Fastest pass I made was 12.6 @ 105 spinning halfway down the track with my baby slicks and then I was starting to see lots of knock retard on the top end (almost 10 degrees) so I let out a little bit. The other 4 passes were horrible and the car was popping and falling on its face after the 1/8th mile showing lots of knock again.

Well I think something is wrong with my pump. I had my friend go look at the pressure gauge inside the engine compartment while I pressed the test button on the controller to verify the pressure. At pump speed 7 it was spraying 42 psi and full speed 10 it was spraying 58 psi. Does that sound normal??? I also have a feeling the pump is spraying intermittly as in the pump is cutting out sometimes during the run and thus the knock comes in.

I was running a 22 degree alky chip and boost was 21 lbs at first then I tried turning it up to 23-24 to see if the popping and bogging was too much alky. Same scenario. Also the 02's on each run were showing 720's-740's at the lowest with fuel pressure at 45 line off...

So I gave up and now I feel bad I hurt the car. The reason I think the pump may be bad is because I let it sit for about 3 months with no alcohol in the tank over the winter and also the pump looks pretty corroded.

well I tested the pump today again and got the following results...

at pump speed 1-3 the pump doesn't even pump any alcohol...it starts at 4 and flows more as the dial goes higher to 10...The pressure gauge read 0 every time the pump was going but I think that was because I had the nozzle assembly disconnected at the bottle so I could see what was going on...so it flows good past 3 on the pump speed setting...

now I have the boost set at 19-20 lbs right now on the street and decided to put the pump speed on 4...the turn on point is about 10 psi of boost...I am still getting 4.5 degrees of knock in 3rd gear and the o2s were about 777...what is going on!!!:rolleyes: if this keeps up I am just going to run 100 unleaded all the time...

Patience, grasshopper. :D ;)
First off, I'm not sure about the pressure readings, but if your pump looks that bad, the first thing I'd do is call Steve and see what he says.
Secondly, you were right to lower the boost down, but don't lower the pump speed yet. Get it reading 0 knock at a high pump speed and then slowly lean it out, not the other way around. I know the O2's looked about right but that doesn't mean squat to me if you're getting knock. Is the knock occuring right when you step on it, or as the revs climb? This will tell you if it's the turn on point or pump pressure that needs adjustment.
Read through the older threads in this section...there's plenty of info.

Sounds like your pump is toast......my runs 95psi @ 10 and thats were I leave it.

Jeremy

well I fixed the knock issue...we added more fuel in the chip so now my o2s are 810-830 at WOT in 3rd with NO knock and pump speed on 5...boost at 20 lbs...I tested the speeds again and it doesn't spray from 1-3...something is wrong with the pump...

are the pumps that come with the SMC kits better pumps than the old ones or are they the same??? I want the best pump this time...

If you richen up the chip, you wont need as much alcohol. See the volume of alky needs to be increased as the demand for detonation control increases.

What this means.. running 800's for O2's isnt going to yield any substantial performance number. You need to drop the O2's into the mid 700's for starters.. and then while keeping the motor leaned out.. add boost, add alcohol.. keep it lean and mean to make it fast.

So if your pump is at 55 PSI.. it will have enough to support 810-820's for O2's. But not get it to support 740's.. the leaner you make the mixture, the more the motor will want to KR.. The more the motor wants to KR, the more alcohol that is needed.

I wont make comments on the SMC product. Hope you understand.

yeah I understand Razor...I bought this kit from Steve before you came out with your kit and I think both kits are awesome...I've just never had a problem with Steve and I've gotton great customer service from him and I am sure you do the same...thanks for helping out...we'll get this thing going good again...I think it's my fault anyways for the pump failure because I let it sit for about 3 months without alky in the tank...big mistake...