would this be a good buy

really why wouldent it be a good deal even though my diff on my 82 is just a regular open diff or what would you guys recommend

Also take into consideration the drive shaft lenghts are different from a 7.5 to a 8.5 If I remember correctly. I've done research on this for my 82 regal limited. I have a stock 7.5gearbox and if I want to upgrade to an 8.5gearbox I have to change the drive shaft also. What's on their now? 8.5 or 7.5?

The add says 7.5. That's the standard gear ratio on a Cutlass/Regal with the Olds 307 V-8. The standard ratio on a MC or GP with the SBC 305 is 2.29. Unless you need those 2.56's than I guess it's a deal for C-Note. But that's a 2 series carrier. You can't bolt anything numerically higher than a 3.08 to that carrier.

Yes it's 3.08 for the 2 series 7.5. It's 2.73 on the 2 series 8.5.

really so even with my 8.5 i couldent do a higher ration then 3.08 so what would you recommend getting a g80 rear end whole assembly or i just keep mine and get a detroit locker that still alows for wheel slip at turns

Some manufacturers make special thicker ring and pinion kits so you can squeeze a 3 or 4 series gear on a 2 series carrier. I guess it's your judgement call as to what power level you're at and how much money you want to spend.

And IIRC that 7.5 posi in the CL link is the cone style Borg Warner unit. Not exactly durable even with a 140 horse V-8 in front of it. I used to own a 79 ElCamino with that unit and I chewed all the teeth off the cones at about the 150K mark with the stock 150HP 305.:mad: