Would like some feedback from TA49 users

QuickWE4

Fuggedaboudit.
Hey All;

This weekend, I'll be swapping my TA51 for a brandy new TA49. I made the decision to go with the 49 because it's more in line with my peformance goals and, from what I've heard, is happy with the stock D5.

With the 51, I had quite a bit of lag around town, though using the brake I could build the boost fairly easily and fry the tires.

Just looking for some general feedback from those of you using this popular turbo:

1. Realistically, how is this turbo around the street? Could it use some stall or is it happy with the D5? I know this is subjective - just looking for some opinions and experiences.

2. How does the performance of this turbo differ compared to the stocker? Better yet, does anybody have the real world experience to compare the 51 to the 49 in terms of driveability?

I currently run Testa chips, and the new one will be programmed for 100 oct. Other mods are THDP, 009's, all the usual fuel mods, cold air, no cat, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

I have been very happy. A little more lag than the stocker and the power comes in a little smoother (slower). I get less tire spin in 1st but the 1-2 shift is muy bueno. I actually consider this an advantage on the street since I am a non-smoker.

Tom

Thanks Tom..

I'm hoping that I'll be able to minimize lag through some timing and the fact that it's breathing pretty well (big neck I/C, thdp, etc).

Anybody else? :)

Rich

Lag will be hardly noticiable and the car will be much more responsive on the street. Still be good for a 11.6 or better.

the 49/44 remains the best street turbo out there for all around performance.

Yep, and the car is in good shape as far as not having any vac leaks or cracked headers, so I'm looking forward to the installation.

Thanks!
Rich

I always felt that my 49 spooled faster than my stocker. But then again, I was running 24lbs of boost on the street with it thanks to alky. An awesome turbo for someone that wants a very driveable, stock looking combo.

tminer,
You should try some airbags in the rear shocks. It really helped my car from kickin out on the 1-2 shifts. Much more controllable and increases performance. I was really suprized at how well the airbags really worked. Good cheap mod, easy to install.

Quick,
The ta-49 works great for me. I think it is a wonderful turbo for the street/strip. It has been around a while so it is definitely tried and true. Remember the stockers and ta-49s will be similar in performance up to about 17/18 psi or so, then the extra flow of the 49 will really pay off. Alky kits on a stock turbo are an alternative, cheaper upgrade that might get you to your desired performance level cheaper. food for thought

I had a 49 with a D5. It worked great. For a street turbo it is hard to beat. It will have no problems getting you into the 11's with a basically stock set up. But like everybody else said, you have to run it at 18+ to notice a difference over a stock turbo. Good Luck

Why didn't you just get the proper 3K converter to use with the turbo you had?

If you already owned the two turbos then nevermind. :)

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

Salvage:

I ordered the PTS 9X11 and pump from Bruce. When I got the converter, I changed my mind about opening up the tranny for a car that's largely show/street. Plus, it's a 20k mile car and I just got cold feet about going into that level of modification.

I actually put a lot of thought into it and decided that, in the long run and considering the goals with my car, I'd probably be happier with the 49.

Plus, it really didn't hurt my wallet that much. Bruce bought my converter and pump back, and Johh Craig is giving me a nice credit on the turbo. In the long run, this switch may have cost me about 300 bucks, but you live and you learn.

:D

Rich

my stock turbo dont run nothing like my ta-49 did you guys are nuts.

i have had both 49 and 51's and on the street every day the 49 is the best you can get.

i also say the 49 will go all out faster than the 51.

51 made more power in high boost but the tradeoff is a new turbo every pass or keep the 49 and beat the crap out of it and it lives.

i could have stayed on my 49 and with traction put my 3700# car in the tens but 51's will never go tens before breaking.

I have a TE-44 but I'll comment anyways because it is essentially the same as a TA-49.

IMO TA49/44 are the best all round street turbos. Drivability is excellent, even with a D5. Reliability is also excellent, I have 75K miles on my TE-44 without a hiccup :). The 49/44 will easily take you deep into the 11's also. This is a fact that I don't think many people believe. I have many of the same mods as you. The times in my signature were with 23lbs of boost and 20* of timing. If I wasn't such a chicken s**t when it comes to turning up the boost and timing I'll bet I could knock 2-3 tenths off those times. Oh yah I also noticed increased performance under 18 psi.

HTH

I really like my TA-49 with my combo. It spools great and there are not any driveability problems at all.

I started out with a stocker that was already shot. Loads of oil into up pipe. Could pull the shaft in and out a lot. This winter I put in a new 49 and WHAT a diff. :eek: Then I got the SMC kit and well.......:cool: I'm going to Eau Claire, WI. this weekend. Test day on Sat. then Racin on Sun. My best w/ the old stocker was 12.96 @ 101. My 1/8 mile time was 7.94 @ 88mph. The new valve springs and turbo and total combo should get my mph up and ET down. For the street, the 49 is always ready!! Go for it!!

Gotcha.

My converter is sitting on the floor too. Not afraid of putting it in excepting it's a stock 140K mile tranny. Haven't decided who will be putting it in either. ;)

Quick, I have run both the 49 and the 51. The 49 was a great upgrade and spooled fine with the D5, I currently run a TA51 and have been running it hard for the past 3 years with no hint of failure or wheel damage. The 51 does MPH better at the same boost over the 49 in my car. I run a 2800 stall with the 51 and it spools too fast. You won't be disappointed in either one. Hope that helps.

My GN, very basic mods - XP pump, 237 regulator, K&N, gutted cat, BFG DR's & stock D5--- stock turbo = 12.89 @ 20psi. No other changes --- TA49 = 12.60 @ 20 psi. Spoolup is not much different than stock. 2800 stall modified D5 = tire fryer. I love the 49's.

Lee

I agree! The TA-49 is one of the best. My car spools great with the D-5 and it works good under all conditions. 18+ of boost is where it comes on the hardest. You'll love it:D Frank

Hey folks, completed my swap tonight. That polished housing looks SWEEEEET and NO LEAKS :)

BTW, my puck alignment was WAAAAAAYYY off. My tuning guru estimates, from my pic, that it's probably 1/32 off, which probably contributed to my laaaag. When I bought that turbo, they informed me that they were no longer porting the wastegate holes for the THDP, but that I probably wouldn't have a problem. Well, it was way off.

I marked the puck with some grease and installed the DP and removed. The turbo from Limit looks dead on.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback. As soon as I pick up my chip tomorrow, I'll take her out and see how it runs.

If anybody wants to chime in, I have a new thread regarding what I should look for following the install.

Thanks again!
Rich
P.S. I'm a TR beginner, whic probably explains why I'm ecstatic about a simple turbo swap.:rolleyes: