Would it be worth it to upgrade the calipers?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
In my quest to get the bleeder screw unstuck as per this thread, I managed to snap off a stuck bleeder screw in the right caliper despite all the PB blaster and heat I used to try and free it.

My entire brake system is stock. I'm wondering since I have to replace the right caliper if I should drop the dime and instead of heading over to O' Reillys/Autozone/NAPA, etc...hit up Summit and buy some more expensive calipers?

Summit Racing SUM-BK202R - Summit Racing® Cast Iron Brake Caliper Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

U.S. Brake 7241-9001 - U.S. Brake Oversized Metric Calipers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

These are a few I was looking at. I dunno what size the piston is on a stock TR front disc brake caliper but the bottom link says the U.S. brake one is 2.750 inches and offers a 20% braking increase.

Any advice before dropping the coin? I've never used any type of aftermarket brake caliper before.

Thanks!

I wouldn't bother with the US caliper oversized ones.

I put them on my car and the fade is slightly better clamping force and general braking didn't seem to be any better.

Butt dyno. no measured stops to compare data.

New rotors and pads make a far better difference up front in MHO.

You have to paint them too or they're gonna rust.

Here they are after POR15 paint.

PaintedUSBrakeCaliper.jpg

just go buy both front reman calipers from a parts store for 12 bux and call it a day until your ready to spend some real money doing it "right". My .02

Yep get at set of the $10 replacments from O' Reillys then take the cash you would have spent and do a hydro boost upgrade.

Thanks I went ahead and got the cheapo jobbies for now.

Get a good set of pads. I use the upper level Raybestos (CarQuest) semi-metallic pads. Rated FF they are a good choice. Limited fade, good bite, and plenty of friction. The pads can make or break a braking system (say that fast 10 times ;)).

I agree with you and the others on using stock calipers. With the small stock rotors a better caliper doesn't buy much.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Get a good set of pads. I use the upper level Raybestos (CarQuest) semi-metallic pads. Rated FF they are a good choice. Limited fade, good bite, and plenty of friction. The pads can make or break a braking system (say that fast 10 times ;)).

I agree with you and the others on using stock calipers. With the small stock rotors a better caliper doesn't buy much.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Yup, I just spent 50 bucks for ceramic brake pads. What a difference!!!

hello people; GullsGn lets here more on those pads you got. I thought they ate calipers? How's the break dust? What brand? I'd luv better stopping.
IBBY

hello people; GullsGn lets here more on those pads you got. I thought they ate calipers? How's the break dust? What brand? I'd luv better stopping.
IBBY

I got the pads from C.A.P. They are called Pro Ceramic. I have only had them on for a couple of hundred miles. They advertise lower brake dust and better stopping. I can't vouch for the lower brake dust yet but I do believe they stop much better. I suppose it will be awhile before I can really form an opinion since I generally get 10 to 12 years (70 to 80k) on a set of pads. But, they certainly feel like they could stop on a dime!!!

hello people; Keep posting on those pads. As I said before any help in stopping is always a good thing.
IBBY