Wont shift from first easily, drops out of 4th

TurboBrett

Mr. Bump
All,
I'm having a bit of trouble with the transmission in my car and would love some suggestions on what to look for. The transmission is a used BRF, "40K since rebuild", has a shift kit, and is running a smaller ~9.5" non lock up TC. I've put about 300 miles on it since I installed it in my car.
The transmission has never shifted from an idle gear to a drive or reverse gear very quickly. I once had to give it a little more RPM to get it into reverse.

A couple of months ago while I was driving my car around for a few hours my transmission dropped out of 4th a few times around 80mph. I had to speed up and let off the gas before it would go back into 4th.

I parked the car and it sat for a couple of months.

Now, when starting from a stop my transmission hangs in first (no matter where the shifter is). If I let off the gas the car goes back to an idle speed.
I tried a couple of WOT passes and it bounced off my 6500RPM rev limiter.

I played with the TV cable and it is properly adjusted as well as it springs back when I pull the cable out. I dropped the pan and inspected the TV cable there and it's hooked up fine and seems to be working. (the shaft that the TV pushes against was not sticking out far - in an idle state the TV lever wasnt touching it, not sure if it needs pressure before it sticks out all of the way or not. I didnt try to pull it out myself)

The governor looked to be in working order; the small spring is where it should be, there was no debris anywhere in the housing either.

I also pulled the roundish housing in the front of the VB that houses a stiff spring and piston of sorts, it looked fine as well.

In the pan there was a thin layer of silver at the bottom, but no large chunks of debris. The fuild was pretty dark like it hadnt been changed in a while, but it is royal purple so 'dark' is relative..

Could this be a shot or going out pump? Maybe the filter was just clogged? Maybe I just need to clean out the VB?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dang, sure hope it's not that...

Anything to look for in the VB while I still have the pan off before I put it back together and fill it up?