Wiring H4 HID's for 4-light high-beam?

granatl

TRCM Author
I recently purchased Alradco's HID kit -- buying all 4 headlights. FYI, HID's are not two-stage like our outter bulbs normally are. By default the kit comes as outter lights for low-beam, inner lights for high-beam. I want to wire them so that all 4 are on for high-beam.

So, on the low-beam connector, green wire is low-beam, tan wires (2) are high beam and black is ground. I know I need some diode or other between green and tan, to prevent current on the low-beam line leaking onto the high-beam. I tried a 3A diode, but that only lasts a few seconds before it overloads. From my research, I instead need (at least) a 10A diode. Part of me thinks I need a "Schottky Diode." Or, I can hot-wire the headlights like we do various other components using a relay and my 3A diodes. What do you recommend?

DIODE SCHOTTKY 45V 12A DO201AD - SB1245

If it was me, I'd just use a relay. Connect the relay's coil across the 12V going to the high beams. Use the relay's contact to switch 12V to the low beam circuit. Low beams on, normal operation. High beams on, relay is energized and provides 12V to low beams also.
You better check current draw of those lights, though. Don't they pull more amperage than normal lights? I've never had any so I don't know. You don't want to melt insulation and/or have a fire potential due to excessive current draw on dinky wires.

David