Will a stock turbo/ported heads/218R/3" DP/62mmTB/009's/FMIC do a 120mph 1/4?

gnx7

I have a lightweight 2700lb Mazda RX-7 with GN power.

The best with the old motor with home ported heads, stk valves/3 angle, 208/208 cam, 62mmTB, stock turbo, 1.65 T&D's, stock lower intake, FMIC,009's, D5, ATR headers, and 2 1/2" DP into a 3" nonmandrel bent exhaust was a 11.62@114mph on slicks (1.70 60ft) and an 11.76@115mph on Nittos (1.71 60ft). And the TC was not locked during either run.

I now have Champion heads/218R cam/ 3" downpipe and everything else the same. Open dump on the DP. I plan to lock up the TC this time for 2-3mph more I'm hoping.

Goal is low 11's@120mph with the stock turbo.

Do you guys think it'll do it?

I'm running tomorrow with 114 octane fuel/26* chip/ and will push around 20-21psi. Crossing my fingers for some big mph and not blowing up my engine.

-GNX7

I am CETRAINLY no expert----but i say "heck ya".I went 117 mph in my GN with stock cam and heads and a turbo one size larger than stock with the rest of the mods you have--should be a no-brainer.Good Luck.

Geoff Hall

With the $$$ you have invested, why piss around with 114 fuel??? Buy C-16, turn the wick up to 25 psi min. and take advantage of ported heads/manifold and that HUGE cam you're running. I went 116mph with stock friggen everything and red-stripes and a PT-51 FGS's! That was on a .46tps launch....if you can't hit your target with all the crap you've done....sell it :D Just joshin' , but your target certainly seems attainable to me :)
Good luck and keep us posted...Do you run the Ricer Class or Outlaw with slicks??? I think that Import Class would be a real blast with your drive-train :):):):)
Jim

Even with the 114 fuel you will be able to run 25-27 psi. of boost. Turn it up and let it run the numbers.:D

The stock turbo runs out of steam at around 21psi. Plus with ported heads 21psi is actually higher than that.

I just want to run the mph.... don't really care about the et...

After I reach my goal I am trying to decide between a PTE-52 or a TE-70 :D .

I want to road race the car so I'm leaning towards the smaller turbo.

GNX7

Gnx7, you might want to consider the TE-61 cause this turbo is capable of mid 10's and from what some have said it still has great spool up which would be perfect for road racing and drag racing! The TE-61 seems to fall right in between the PT-52 and TE70, so I would give John Craig @ Limit Engineering a call and ask him what would be the best choice for your goals. JMO :cool:

Belive me the stocker has more that 21 psi of boost in it. Turn it up, you will see.:D

The only thing I don't like is the short tires. If you could use a 27" tire vs. 25.7" nitto, your odds of running 120 would increase dramatically.

UNGN- I have 26x8.5" slicks already. It has 4:10 gears so I go thru in OD anyway.

Car ran like a crap. 102mph best with 114 octane/ 26* race chip/ 20psi, 42psi FP.

Would barely spool at the line and then when I let off the brakes and nailed it the boost would drop to zero and slowly climb back up. None of my 4 runs were any good.

I think I may have a kinked return fuel line and it is running rich?

The car ran better with 91/100 octane mix and 16psi/18* chip. This mph was 109mph! The was before I fried my coilpack with a MIG during welding.... maybe I've messed something else up?

Time to start doing to basic tests to see WTF is going on with my POS.

GNX7