Will a 4" separate fit in the 3.5" hole?

OneQuikV6

Automotively bi-curious
Nothing much more to say I guess. I want to try a 4" component set in the T Type and want to know just exactly HOW easy it is to get a 4" driver in the original 3.5" location.

Thanks guys!

it would take some work, but its possible.

Anything is possible, it just depends how indepth you feel like going.

Heck a SQ competitor here @ A&M has a '01 C3 pickup and has a Rainbow Pro component set in his A-pillars (4" and a tweet). Granted, the entire molding was fabricated, but anything is possible).

BTW, his truck sounds awesome!

Here is some pics Check out the rest of the pics too, very nice install.

Originally posted by mcss383
it would take some work, but its possible.

Anything is possible, it just depends how indepth you feel like going.

I wonder if it's just a matter of using a dremel tool to enlarge the hole and make new mounting holes?? I would go with a 3.5" but I understand that they really all sound pretty bad. I have a set of 5.1/4 Quart Co-Ax's that I'll use at a later date in the doors, but for now, I'd like to use the component set if possible. I just don't want to order these things if it's a HUGE pain to get them in.

Not all 3 1/2's are bad, just most. Infinity Kappa's are about as good as it gets. 3 year warranty - no one else offers that. Just be sure to put a cap to attenuate the bass. No 3 1/2 can handle any low frequencies - heck no 4" can either. I've had mine now for over 3 years and they still sound great (with 50 watts of real power going to them).

There are some good 3.5"s out there. I had Boston Pro Audio's in my car for a long time. Even had my McIntosh amp hooked to them (100x2) and they sounded great as long as they are crossed over reasonably. I think the Bostons and the Infinity's are about the best out there. I wouldnt think its worth the effort for the difference of a .5" in diameter. If you are serious about mid bass upfront, go for kick panel speakers.

Originally posted by GNandTTA
Not all 3 1/2's are bad, just most. Infinity Kappa's are about as good as it gets. 3 year warranty - no one else offers that. Just be sure to put a cap to attenuate the bass. No 3 1/2 can handle any low frequencies - heck no 4" can either. I've had mine now for over 3 years and they still sound great (with 50 watts of real power going to them).

Well, that makes good sense :D The fronts will be driven with a Rockford Punch 100 a2 crossed over with an Audio Control 3XS, so bass freqs shouldn't be a problem. Eventually, I'll have AudioWizard do me some door pods and run a good set of Quarts in them, but money is tight right now. I guess I need to order some 3.5's from Crutchfield right now :)

Not going to fit don't hack it up I hate that get componets mount the tweets in the 3 1/2 location and driver in the CS II door panel location great sound no hacking

Originally posted by gn4u2c
Not going to fit don't hack it up I hate that get componets mount the tweets in the 3 1/2 location and driver in the CS II door panel location great sound no hacking

I don't plan to cut anything. I don't have the CSII setup in my car, just basic door panels, so I'm assuming I'll need a scratch built pod on the door to house a separate set. I don't like the kick pods as they intrude too far into the floorboard for my tastes. Brad's look great, but that's giving up too much comfort for my driving style. I like the one's in AudioWizard's car, or the one's Jim Testa has in his. Any leads to a pre-built pod for our cars?

only pre-built pods would be the ones Audiowizard makes (or any custom shop). There aren't any 'Q-form' type of things for door pods to my knowledge.

Jim Testa has some froma company called Audio Forms. Couldn't find them on the web anywhere, but I guess they do exist somewhere :D