Wide journal stroker crank pros and cons?

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
Hi all,

As some of you may know, I had to have my engine rebuilt due to a horrific beating by our old friend Mr. Detonation. I need a crankshaft, 2 pistons and a few connecting rods. As some of you may also know, a steel stroker crank with stock, narrow journal bearings are more rare than hen's teeth right now. I can't stare at my torn apart car until July when they become available again so I need to do something now.

I found a vendor with a wide journal stroker crank and .040 overbore stroker pistons in stock. They're currently looking for rods (rods will be spendy).

What are the pros and cons of a wide journal crank (besides the obvious cost difference)? Should I just forget about it and put it together w/out the stroker (the engine guy has another stock crank, pistons and rods for me)?

I'm hung up on the stroker because I like the idea of more displacement (and thus torque/power) at the low end (un-boosted). The only complaint I have about my car is waiting (even if it's a couple of seconds) for the turbo to spool in order to get any power. Does the additional displacement from a stroker make much of a difference? The substitute for the cubic inches is boost at the higher end, right?

Thanks,
Jim

Check with Mike Booher-blownv6 on this board-also Dan Strezo has got some new cranks and stuff coming-DLS. ,I just saw some eagle cranks and rods 4/sale in the 4/sale section.

I was told that Dan Strezo has a set of rods for the wide journal crank in stock (Crowers) but they are outrageous in cost.
I was looking at getting one of his new stroker kits with the wide journals as well but I don't want to wait til the new rods get done either. I would much rather have had his crank and rods than a Cat crank but...

Bryan

I was told that Dan Strezo has a set of rods for the wide journal crank in stock (Crowers) but they are outrageous in cost.
I was looking at getting one of his new stroker kits with the wide journals as well but I don't want to wait til the new rods get done either. I would much rather have had his crank and rods than a Cat crank but...

Bryan

Thanks for the reply.

How do you like that 218/212 cam in your sig? That's what I'm putting in my car this time around.

Jim

The cam is very street-able, more-so than I figured. Probably could have gone much bigger. It does have a nice power band. I wish I had some decent seat time with the new turbo. My lower end went before the new turbo got turned up. I can't wait for the new motor, it was supposed to be ready for BG but for some reason it will not be done. Not sure if I am going to go to BG or not since I am not going to race.

Bryan