Who has put a 15" sub in the trunk? I want to see the install!

BuickMike

Money pit
If any of you have followed my audio build thread, you know I like old school audio and have had a few different 10" sub setups in the car. Currently I have two MTX Blue Thunder 10's facing forward in a sealed enclosure that are powered by a Lanzar Opti Drive 100. They are clean and accurate, but the box is a little small so they do not play that deep. Just for giggles today I lobbed my old Punch Pro 15" in the back of the trunk to see what happened. It is in a 3.4 cubic ft ported enclosure. I was absolutely blown away at how loud and deep it was, while actually still able to play double bass drum somewhat decent. A lot of that has to do with my Alpine headunit. It has tons of adjustability in it. (9 band parametric eq, adj crossover, time correction, etc).

Now I want to put this beast in!! Just not sure if I can swing it without killing too much trunk space.

So, has anyone done a 15" facing backwards? If so, post some pics to motivate me!

I used to have some good pics of John Skeeto's GN when he had a 15 in place of the spare tire. Had a nice cover over it so it could somewhat pass as the spare tire with a cover over it. I never done a 15 rear facing. I've done 10's rear facing, but they didn't stay that way for long. Ended up turning them around and sealing the front of the box to the interior. The next system that is going in the GN after the rebuild and paint will be 2 15's, but done either AP or IB. No excessive weight from the enclosure. Sorry no pics.

Back in the day, didn't Richard Clark have an award winning GN with two15inch subs in the trunk?

I think I have this one figured out if I try to go that route. RC did have a pair of 15's, however they were not technically in enclosures. They were mounted at an angle on a baffle that sealed the trunk off from the passenger space and had aperiodic membranes behind them. On top of that, those subs were incredibly shallow. No way to mount my sub, or any standard 15" in that manner.

I have always had much success with 12" subs. I currently have 2 12" kicker subs in a band bass enclosure in my 98 Trans am that I installed well over 15 year's ago. I also have 2 10" kicker subs in my Chevrolet Silverado ex-cab that have been playing for 17 years. I think with the current technology of subs, a good set of long throw JBL 10" subs, in a sealed enclosure, facing backwards (towards the back of the car) will do nicely in the GN. When you face subs backwards, the sound is increased as it reflects off the back of the trunk before firing forward. You don't need 2000 watts of power either. Just 200 rms watts per sub and I think it will sound great. That's my plan for my GN anyway. Just my 2 cents.

i have a 30 year old sas base tube 10'' and put a 10'' w6 jlaudio in it put it in the spare tire space.i sealed the port on the tube.all the base i need and light too.

I have 10's and 12's coming out of my ears. I have probably had 5 or 6 configs in the GN over the 19 years I've owned it. All have either been a pair of 10"s facing backwards, forwards, upwards, sealed, ported, single 12" in different configs....you get it. I decided to go a route I have not gone before and am not looking for another 10" setup.

I'm not sure if someone took my suggestion the wrong way or not, I wasn't trying to knock anyone or ruffle any feathers by any means. I was merely saying what has worked for me in the past. I have tried 2 15" subs in a car trunk before, and I'm my personal experience and preferences I don't like it. In an suv or larger vehicle with ample space, 15" subs are awesome. Sorry for the confusion.

No feathers ruffled at all. :) Just making the point that I'm not looking to go a different direction necessarily as I've probably tried damn near everything but a 15". I've also never tried IB, but I don't have anything on hand that I can do that with. I like to experiment and try different configurations. My GN is what I experiment in. Just was hoping to see if someone had some pics. 2 15's would be way too much, however when using one with not a ton of power it really did seem to work well considering I just lobbed a box in the back of the trunk.

I was doing some math on cone area and realized that a single 15" is way more than 2 10's. A single 12" is actually pretty close to two 12's. I'd say a pair of 12's would really move some air in this car, however I like to use what I have. I pulled things out last night and played with a bunch of different setups again and am still sold on the 15". I just need to get more midbass into the car to make sure I have plenty of compensation for lack of midbass that the 10's were giving me. Stay tuned.