Who can help me notch my frame?

jdpolzin

Well I figured ths was going to happen. My welder isnt going to be big enough to weld on my frame and all the chassis shops are backed up around my area. Does anyone know where I can take this thing ad have the frame nothced and that is a reputable person/shop? Thanks for the help! -----Jeremy

I know this guy, he lives in des moines. If you've seen the work done by him and his father you would think they had magic wands;)

What's wrong, don't get hot enough?? The little one I had sunk the washers in good on my frame and the patchwork I did on the rear. Maybe talk to keith and see if he can help out. I know someone here that does excellent work if you wanna drive 5 hours, LOL! Later sucker:biggrin:

CS99 can, he lives in 46725 IN and his price was right IMO. But you'll have to get a ride home since he'll need it for at least a full day.

I know this guy, he lives in des moines. If you've seen the work done by him and his father you would think they had magic wands;)

What's wrong, don't get hot enough?? The little one I had sunk the washers in good on my frame and the patchwork I did on the rear. Maybe talk to keith and see if he can help out. I know someone here that does excellent work if you wanna drive 5 hours, LOL! Later sucker:biggrin:

Yeah I have tried to play with it quite a bit and just cant get it hot enough to stick the frame brackets onto the face of the frame. I'm running out of time for the Power Tour and just need to get this done.

Considering the..

I'm using a 110 130A mig with gas.

material thickness of the frame, and some 1/8-3/16 plate, I'd think your welder would do that. At hi duty cycles, you may have to take a break every once in a while, but it should be doable....
U have a pro welder in the area, that may be able to get you started??
What wire are U using? .035"??

When I repaired the frame I slowed the wire speed and turned the heat up 3/4 and it did fine. I took a grinder to the metal to clean it up so the weld had some fresh metal and ground it to an angle so it would bite good. Got hot enough to blow through it. By that time I had a few too many beers into this repair;) Turned out nice though. Smooth as my woman's @ss:cool:

Ground

Some suggestions...Make sure the gound is good and the clamp/magnet is on clean metal and you have a good connection with the ground wire and clamp/magnet. How much gas you blowin out the tip ? Make sure you are not putting out so much that you are taking heat out of the weld. As mentioned above, make sure you are using .035". If your gas is not working right, you could try flux core wire at 0.035".

Well, I havent cut the frame yet becuase I wanted to make sure i can get the welder dialed in before I go in for the kill. I welded the lower control arm braces and one of my inner plates today. It is doing better but I cant really get it very hot with my .035 wire. I had to drop down to a .024 wire in order to keep it hot. The welds look like hell let me tell you. I've never in my life welded so crappy. I ground the welds down to clean them up and plan to go over it again to make sure they are strong. I gave up on the .035 wire but maybe I'll try to again tomorrow. The welder didnt want to burn that big of wire last time though, just wanted to melt the wire. I have played and played with the gas all day. I got it burn pretty well but the small wire just wasnt cutting it. More practicing tommorrow though. Any suggestion would be helpful!

Thanks Glen, I actually have used that for a reference now that I have started to do the notch. For now, I braced the inner rails and welded in a 1 3/8" tube between the rails against the rear crossmember. I also got the drivers side cut and looks like the wheels are going to fit just fine. I cut a little of the sheet metal out of the body tub for clearence so I'm going to have to figure out a way to seal that back up. Probably just weld the lip the best I can I suppose. I plan to weld some plate in the front of the notch under my outside plate to brace it up some. I had a hard time welding the inner rail braces and tube because I'm on my garage floor so I will probably have to get those welds ground down and re-welded but at least it's supported for now. Tomorrow I'm going to box and brace my notch!

Man I would be imbarressed to show off my welds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll post some pics to my "Pics of My Stage 2" thread in the Video/picture section.