Which way to paint?

techniques

hey guys, I'm looking to get a paint job this spring and I'll be doing this with the help of a friend. but before I get all the needed materials, I would like to know which paint is the best to use.... Two stage base coat then clear coat or is the single stage base&clear coat together just as nice. Now Im going with the traditional black and I would like that deep shine. which one will give this to me or does one require more work than the other to get the best results?
Thanks,
Jason

Base coat then clear coat. The guy who painted my GN used DuPonts 4 part process, the bare metal prep and then the veriprime, then the primer, then the black and then the clear. Came out FANTASTIC. Was a lot of work, I helped him and it took us 5 weeks to totally strip it and paint and reassemble.
Was worth all the time and effort!!!
Tarey D.

I'VE DONE AT LEAST 10 BLACK, BASECOAT/CLEARCOAT PAINTJOBS USING PPG PRODUCTS. RECENTLY, I PICKED UP A GN THAT HAD A SIMILAR JOB LESS THAN A YEAR OLD. I DIDN'T LIKE THE TRUNK ON THE CAR AND DECIDED TO REPLACE IT AND REFINISH THE REPLACEMENT. I PAINTED IT WITH NASON BLACK, SINGLE STAGE, SYNTHETIC ENAMEL, WET SANDED AND BUFFED IT, AND YOU CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE EXPENSIVE BC/CC AND THE INEXPENSIVE SYNTHETIC ENAMEL. I ALREADY KNEW THAT WOULD BE THE RESULT BEFORE I DID THE JOB BUT THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO KNOW. ;)

INCIDENTLY, MY RED T IS PAINTED WITH SYNTHETIC ENAMEL AND I GET PLENTY OF COMPLIMENTS ON THE PAINT.

red regal t

is the enamel easier to work with? and how is the durability of the paint? I mean will it hold up to daily driving with no problems as far as cracking and chipping? Ive also heard the same thing you said from a couple of body guys so if its durability is good, it definitely looks like something to pursue.

I'm using Dupont chroma premier on mine (mix a little bit at a time from the body shop where I work-real cheap that way) .have used ppg single stage before and 98 1/2 % of all people could never tell the difference. The key is the prep work and what shade of black you use. For instance later (97-newer) gm "onyx black" has a little more depth to it than the oe black.

Re: red regal t

Originally posted by techniques
is the enamel easier to work with? and how is the durability of the paint? I mean will it hold up to daily driving with no problems as far as cracking and chipping? Ive also heard the same thing you said from a couple of body guys so if its durability is good, it definitely looks like something to pursue.

Take note that this is not acrylic enamel. I'm talking synthetic enamel. Synthetic is cheaper than the acrylic. Yes, the synthetic is easier to use and there is no chance of adverse paint reaction. Just reduce by 50%, add harderner and some fisheye eliminator and go. If your going to wetsand and buff, I'd recomend putting on 6 or 7 coats (about 2 gallons of Nason factory pack black). $37 a gallon & hardener & reducer. I double up on the harderner. Instead of 8:1, I use 4:1. I just use the "fast" reducer, any season. Paint holds up just fine. I drive my car at least 500 miles every week.

Photos of my car on first page of "sticky thread" above. ;)