Which 4.1?

OneLethal87GN

R.I.P. Lethal GN
I know this has probably been beat to death...... but which cars should I look in the junkyards for that have the 4.1 that the heads and stuff on our cars just bolt onto? I may have to rebuild my engine and a 4.1 swap came to mind. I had heard it was early 80's 4.1s with the knock sensor on the back. Any info on what cars to peek in or what distinguishing marks would let me know this is the engine I want? Thanks.

All 4.1s from 81-84 would work. The 80 version does not have the knock sensor hole drilled. The 80-83s use head casting #6293 and the 84 has the 8445 casting. Both head castings are the same with the 6293s having standard threads on the accessory mounting holes and the 8445s are metric. Depending on what the engine comes out of determines whether you have a baffle in the oil pan. All 4.1s use a 14 bolt oil pan so if yours does not have the baffle a pan from a 82-83 carb turbo should be used. All 4.1s have a 4.1 cast into the block back by the bellhousing and have the vertical webs on the front of the block. They are almost exclusive to Buicks. Look in Regals,Park Ave,LeSabre and RWD Cadillac Deville/Fleetwood. They are also in FWD Riviera and ElDorado/Seville but use a different oil pan. Eric Fisher

Could you just transfer stuff from the 3.8 to the 4.1? Stuff such as the intake, front cover and such. If it's a whole lot of work to fish for parts, or having to rebuild the thing to handle a turbo then I'll just get the 3.8 rebuilt. I just thought a 4.1 would give me a little more power. You can never have enough, ya know?

Yes you can transfer all that stuff over. The only downfall is the pistons as they are just garden variety cast pistons. Also you have to drill the hole in the front of the block for the turbo drain. You might be money ahead if you convert a NA 109 casting over to turbo specs. I know down here I can get a long block out of U-Pull-It for $99.00 so if you get the 4.1 for the crank and a NA for the block and buy a set of pistons,rings and bearings you would probally have less than $1000 if you can find someone to do the machine work. Eric

i have a 4.1 in a 82 GP LJ STOCK. i'm also thinking of putting a SBC in that car. not sure what i'll do with the 4.1 though.