Where to get alum. master cylinders?

Scott Atk

I turned in my bad vacuum master cylinder at Autozone and the one they gave me was cast iron. Anybody know any parts stores that still have aluminum??? Thanks !!

Originally posted by Scott Atk
I turned in my bad vacuum master cylinder at Autozone and the one they gave me was cast iron. Anybody know any parts stores that still have aluminum??? Thanks !!

The AL/ Cast Iron deal is about the deal seal design in the M/C, and it's designed to be compatible with a given Caliper Piston Design. So, going by that, you've gotten the wrong M/C. I beleive that info., is from the Raybestos Brake Book. Ordering a M/C for a mid 80s Regal should get you an AL M/C. Unless, they've taken to doing their own spec on M/C design, which would seem to open them up to litigation in the event of a failure.

The CarQuest's used to be correct, just haven't ordered on in a couple years.

I hate to answer off the top of my head, but you get it.

I believe the master cylinder had a 1" bore for 78-80 and changed to a 7/8" bore for 81-87. They changed from cast iron to aluminum in 82.

This means there are a few odd ball cast iron master cylinders from 81 that have the correct bore size for the later models, but how could you tell if they give you the right one? The only simple way is to get an aluminum one as they were all the later model.

I had an 81 Malibu and it was a one year part number when I replaced it years ago.

Yeah, I thought the same thing.... must be an oddball or mismarked. I had the guy go back and check the others and all three in stock were cast iron. I installed it and it seems to work ok. I just hate to add weight, even if its only a couple of pounds, when Im trying so hard to lose weight.

Along the same lines. Does anyone know what it takes, if its even possible, to make a MOPAR plastic MC work with or without a vacuum booster. THANKS.

Originally posted by Scott Atk
Yeah, I thought the same thing.... must be an oddball or mismarked. I had the guy go back and check the others and all three in stock were cast iron. I installed it and it seems to work ok. I just hate to add weight, even if its only a couple of pounds, when Im trying so hard to lose weight.

YEAH, IT'S UGLY, TOO! :p

Went yesterday and tried another Autozone and all they have is cast iron also. I was hoping to find an aluminum one at an autozone and swap out under warranty. Oh Well, guess I'll try Carquest or Napa.