Where can I get a 12V source from inside the car?

The Granny

I'm wiring up my electric transbrake from extreme automatics, and it says to apply 12v to activate the brake. On the fuse panel I don't see a port for 12v, I do see a port for the battery though. But my battery is at 13v-14v. Would I be okay just using the port titled battery? I couldn't imagine 13-14v being applied on the system for only seconds at a time would do much, but id like to be sure that way I can set this thing up right. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12v is "general" for the charging system in most modern American cars. I would use one of the ignition ports on the fuse box, not a constant 12 volt unless called for.

12v is "general" for the charging system in most modern American cars. I would use one of the ignition ports on the fuse box, not a constant 12 bolt unless called for.

Yes you should be ok by using the "battery" terminal in the fuse box. ;)

Claude.

I'll have to double check but I think all of my ignition ports are taken up, if so I'll just use the battery terminal. thanks guys!

This is what I did for extra power ports . I wired up a relay and with power directly from the battery to a auxlery fuse block . For a trans break you want a dedicated fused circuit for It . I have mine wires through a switch that then goes through a button then to the trans brake . I have it so I can activate muiltable things. With one button .
IMG_8051.JPG
IMG_8047.JPG

This is what I did for extra power ports . I wired up a relay and with power directly from the battery to a auxlery fuse block . For a trans break you want a dedicated fused circuit for It . I have mine wires through a switch that then goes through a button then to the trans brake . I have it so I can activate muiltable things. With one button .View attachment 306951View attachment 306952

Very nice.. I'll have to look more into doing something like this in the future but I believe this tbrake was the last of my wiring that's been on my todo list for a while so I won't need to do any of that.. yet. Thank you though!

Is there a special connector to plug into the battery plug in the fusebox?

I just used a male spade from AutoZone. stripped the end of the wire and crimped it on. make sure the gauge of the spade and wire are the same. usually spades are sold in a range of acceptable gauge wires

color doesn't matter they're all the same. if your wire is a 18 or 20 gauge wire then you're good with that

The spade sizes differ depending on the gauge of wire they're intended for, I'm guessing. Blue would probably be a good fit; red or yellow would probably need some snipping or filing before they'd fit.

I think the actual size of the spade should be relatively the same if not close but I know I have a 10 gauge wire and a 18 gauge wire with male spades plugged into my fuse panel and both fit snug so you shouldn't have an issue finding one that fits. but j don't think a blue 18-20 ga. spade will differ in size from, say a yellow 18-20 ga. spade. but I may be wrong I haven't looking that in depth into them

I think the actual size of the spade should be relatively the same if not close but I know I have a 10 gauge wire and a 18 gauge wire with male spades plugged into my fuse panel and both fit snug so you shouldn't have an issue finding one that fits. but j don't think a blue 18-20 ga. spade will differ in size from, say a yellow 18-20 ga. spade. but I may be wrong I haven't looking that in depth into them

I believe the yellows are typically 10- 12 ga., the blues are typically 14- 16 ga. and the reds are typically 18- 20 ga.
The spade ends are commonly 1/4" (width), but are available in 3/16" and 1/8" as well (not positive on the 1/8" size, as I don't use them very often).
The previous City Electrician purchased a truck load of these in bulk and are in unlabeled bins.
I have purchased the 1/4" and 3/16" in the 7yrs. I've been here, but not the smaller ones.
It's been a long time since I've added things to my car, but I believe I used the 1/4" wide male spades.

I believe the yellows are typically 10- 12 ga., the blues are typically 14- 16 ga. and the reds are typically 18- 20 ga.
The spade ends are commonly 1/4" (width), but are available in 3/16" and 1/8" as well (not positive on the 1/8" size, as I don't use them very often).
The previous City Electrician purchased a truck load of these in bulk and are in unlabeled bins.
I have purchased the 1/4" and 3/16" in the 7yrs. I've been here, but not the smaller ones.
It's been a long time since I've added things to my car, but I believe I used the 1/4" wide male spades.
Yup. That's the way they are color coded.