What's BEFORE BLACK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4black

Before Black

What's Before Black? Well, the "Black", as you can figure out, refers to the all black 1984-87 Buick Grand Nationals and, of course, the GNX. Yes, other colors were available if you opted for a T Type or Turbo T, but most people understand Grand National. And that means black, all black.

Before Black refers to the Buick V6 engine and the cars that preceded the Fuel Injected Turbo Regals. These are the 1982 Regal Grand National (the only year the GN wasn't black) and cars powered by the 1978-83 Carb/Turbo V6. It also includes all other carbureted Buick V6's a.k.a. NA's (normally aspirated). Even 1984-87 Buick V6 NA's fits this category, since they are basically working with pre-SFI technology.

And why the Pontiac 301T? Well wrapped around that 301 Pontiac motor is Buick technology. The draw-thru turbo, the ESC and rest are taken from the Buick Turbo V6. What works on a Turbo V6 will likely work on a 301T, and vice-versa.

If you haven't already, please take a look at the Before Black Website . Much of it's content originated here on this message board. One thing you will soon realize is that while these engines may not be on par with the later SFI/Turbo V6, they certainly have potential to be performance motors. Hopefully, just as the SFI/Turbo owners have taken advantage of Internet and it's ability to share knowledge, so can we.

Thanks for participating. :)

'82 GN Registry

For some time there has been a '82 GN registry. It has been compiled by Al Thompson, a '82 GN owner. It started when he aquired a partial list of VINs from the now defunct Cars and Concepts, the company that converted the '82 GN.

This board and the Before Black website have attracted plenty of cars. I pass what I find along to Al. Unfortunately now that Al is a former '82 GN owner, the registry has become somewhat dormant. I hope someday he will pass along the records he has to me. Also, the Registry was kept private, so there really was no data to share with owners.

So starting now, I will keep the records I have on the Before Black website. I will not publish information that I do not know the owner is OK with. I will try to update it frequently. This is the first draft. It will probably change appearance some and I will add explantions of columns later. Any suggestions are welcome!

1982 Grand National REGISTRY

Just having the list compiled shows some trends. Conversion (C&C) numbers don't follow the sequence numbers. In other words, cars were converted in a different order than they were built. There are currently more Sport Coupe (Turbo) models on this list than 4.1's. It seems turbo owners look harder for information about there cars and end up finding me.

If you're an '82 GN owner, let me know about your car so I can add it to the list. If it's already there and needs updating, let me know this as well. Thanks for your help.

Other good links

Before Black LINKS

I will try to keep this updated with vendors I recommend and any websites featuring a "Before Black" cars. If I'm missing something, or you have a website for your car, please let me know. :)

I hope this link helps someone out. I can't control the way we handle disputes in the Lounge, but maybe I can help someone from getting into one in the first place. Ebay has feedback. The best we have is this. Please check it before buying and leave feedback afterwards (Good as well as Bad).

The GoodGuy and BadGuy List

HTH :)

Status
Not open for further replies.