What size is the stock turbo?

Hmmm. Ok so what is a TA49 turbo then? I assumed that the stock turbo was smaller than a 49, and the 49 was an upgrade...

Map

Here you go. 2 different ones. One from garret and one from the board but I don't remember what the post was. Look for "I need a Map".

Attachments

• 86 turbo map TBO348.jpg
    86 turbo map TBO348.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 928
  • 466748-5_comp_map 86 Buick.jpg
    466748-5_comp_map 86 Buick.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 758
Here's pics of a stock turbo (left) and TE44 (right). The TA49 would be similar in size to the TE44, but have the bolt-on inlet bell like the stocker.

Attachments

• 44stockcomp.jpg
    44stockcomp.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 810
  • 44stockexhuast.jpg
    44stockexhuast.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 799
  • 44stockturbine1.jpg
    44stockturbine1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 763
Thanks JP. I needed the maps for a project I've been working on and it poves what I was thinking. Garret was great and provided the maps I needed without any questions. Hope it helps you.

Ok, so now I'm gonna sound like a real dumb ass. So how do turbo's get named? I thought it was the size of the ?? (inducer??). But if a 44 or a 49 is an upgrade from stock, but yet the stock has a 49 mm inducer? Hence the question starting the post - what size is the stock turbo. I thought it must be smaller than a 44 or 49. Sorry for the elementary ??'s.
Thanks

This doesn't answer any of your questions but here is a stock wheel side by side with a 60-1.

I had a upcoming race with a SRT4 so the guy assembling the turbo thought he would add the neon killa.

Attachments

• 03-28-06_1434.jpg
    03-28-06_1434.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 486
LOL, that pic must be old to say a 60-1 is a killer of a turbo.

The compressor side of the stock turbo is only one aspect of it's power potential. The exhaust wheel and housing were not so hot also.

Ok so I think I'm getting it. The stock turbo would still be called a 49mm? But the TE44 or TA49 is just a superior turbo which as the potential of producing more hp?

LOL, that pic must be old to say a 60-1 is a killer of a turbo.

The compressor side of the stock turbo is only one aspect of it's power potential. The exhaust wheel and housing were not so hot also.

That was probably 4 years ago. The 60-1 was perfect for my needs at the time.

Ok so I think I'm getting it. The stock turbo would still be called a 49mm? But the TE44 or TA49 is just a superior turbo which as the potential of producing more hp?

The TE44 and TA49 are both larger than the stock turbo (as you can see by the pics I posted above of them side by side). The numbers in the names don't necessarily have anything to do with size. I remember reading something about how they were named before but I can't remember what it was or where to find it (don't even recall if it was on this site) so that's why I (and others I'm sure) haven't been able to give you a straight answer yet. We don't want to baffle you with bull$hit.;)

When talking about upgrading turbos I've had friends ask me what size the stock turbo is. Guess I'll just baffle them with bull$hit :biggrin:

When talking about upgrading turbos I've had friends ask me what size the stock turbo is. Guess I'll just baffle them with bull$hit :biggrin:

alot of the import croud, and lot of other folks, know turbo by their wheel size, when asked, you can easily say its a stock turbo... or its a 49mm... they will know what you are talking about.. usually when you say anything else, they will give you the "deer to the head light" look....lol.. so just make it easy on yourself and every one else, go off the wheel size..... and just to answer your question, the TA-49 and TE-44 are and upgrade for the stock turbo with minor to no upgrades (support mods) needed, deepending on what boost and numbers you are trying to run.. but its still and aftermarket upgrade from the stock turbo... hope this answer some of your questions you had...

Trim = (minor diameter / major diameter) ^2 * 100

Stock turbo could be considered a 50 trim which import homies will understand.