What happens if (3" maf vs 3.5" maf and translator)

Grimster

Grumpy Redneck
So what happens if, I buy a 3.5" LS1 maf and a translator, dip switches are set to all on, the dials are set to 0:0 and decide "screw all these adaptors I need, I'm gonna get a 3" Impala MAF instead" hook it up and crank the car?

It idled, high, then died, giving it gas made it bog hardcore (once it warmed up and actually started halfway idling it bogged harcore anyway).

It was already dark so I came inside, reread my paperwork and lo and behold, the 3" maf has different dial settings as opposed to the 3.5" MAF settings (D'OH). I'm figuring once I pop the case off the MAF-T and set those right I'll be in business, it was cold and dark so tomorrow is another day.

Anyway while I'm waiting for new daylight, does what happened here sound like bad MAF-T settings or is perhaps something else the culprit?

Yeah I'll probably know tomorrow but figured I'd post about my OOPS anyway see if anyone else pulled a similar boner move?

Gary,
Yeah set them dipswitches right and 5 on dial to start..leaner at idle

When I got mine it didnt say in the instructions I had to pull cover to set switches, I just slapped it on and cussed for an hr when it ran like chitty bang bang, next day after work I said hmm i vonder vhats in side here and wala...then i set my 85mm aside and went with the 4inch with built in maf:cool:

So what happens if, I buy a 3.5" LS1 maf and a translator, dip switches are set to all on, the dials are set to 0:0 and decide "screw all these adaptors I need, I'm gonna get a 3" Impala MAF instead" hook it up and crank the car?

It idled, high, then died, giving it gas made it bog hardcore (once it warmed up and actually started halfway idling it bogged harcore anyway).

It was already dark so I came inside, reread my paperwork and lo and behold, the 3" maf has different dial settings as opposed to the 3.5" MAF settings (D'OH). I'm figuring once I pop the case off the MAF-T and set those right I'll be in business, it was cold and dark so tomorrow is another day.

Anyway while I'm waiting for new daylight, does what happened here sound like bad MAF-T settings or is perhaps something else the culprit?

Yeah I'll probably know tomorrow but figured I'd post about my OOPS anyway see if anyone else pulled a similar boner move?

question 1. why drop down from a 3.5" maf to a 3"??

question 2. why are all the dip switch set to on?

Do you have these?

Translator Plus - Full Throttle Speed Tech Support

Sorry typo :) they're set to ON-ON-ON-OFF not all ON (oops)

Went with 3" so I can avoid buying adapters to run a 3.5" maf with my stock 3" pipes, kinda trying to keep it stock looking as possible plus the parts store up the road had no 3-3.5" adaptors in stock.

Yep those came with the MAFT I just didn't take them to the car so when I got home with the 3" maf I just plugged it up not remembering the 3 and 3.5 have different settings.

Ok apparently I'm a doofus, the switches were in fact ALL set ON not as they should be according to the docs (durr) so I set them properly and set the base to 5 and everything ran perfect, gee imagine that, setting it properly makes it work right!

Gonna run a few gallons through it to make sure it is all good, then it's time to replace the injectors and chip next (finally). Hopefully that will have the car mostly tuned as it should be and I can finally get on it without seeing knock retard go to 15 (as the boost goes past 15).