What alternator will fit a TR?

SinistrV6

Valve Monkey
I just need one for "mock up" purposes for my street rod/hybrid project. I hate to pay for one now and then another chrome one later.

Other than high amperage, anything unique about the TR alternators?

What can I pull one from?

A lot of people are using the 140 amp units off of late model (94-96) Caprices/Roadmasters. The bolt pattern/ wiring is essentially the same as the TR. I am about to swap mine out for one of them in fact I already have it, so if you wanted to use my old one, I'm just over in Mobile.

Seeings you won't find chevy units in a boneyard, you can pull a direct replacement off most 86 thru 88 front drive, full size Buicks and Olds. They are 108 amps. If you need a 120 amp mock up :D, most late 80s, front drive caddys, eldo's and sevilles will do the job. The cases all need to be re-clocked to TR positioning.

Red is right on. I went through this last fall looking for a spare case to clean and powder coat. I pulled mine from a FWD Rivera. I found tons in the type of cars red mentiond. The only differences being clock position (easy to fix), amp rating (you don't care for your need) and pully. I cared about the pully as I wanted another like mine to PC. I basically built the alt then swaped it onto the car to keep the car from being down.

Brent

I should point out that the 120 amp Cadillac alternator has a slightly different pulley. It would probably work but be slightly out of alignment. If you get one in a boneyard, it would be best to swap the pulley from you're TR alternator on to the caddy unit.

I think that 120amp caddy one is the one with a "big" fan. It looks solid from the front due to a metal disc, is nearly the diameter of the case, and has a black plastic fan behind the disc.

In looking I want to say I turned up 3 different pullys. 2 with a "conventional" type of fan but differing pully diameters, and the caddy one mentioned.

I looked at a lot of alternators. I wanted one with the same pully and fan, 120 amp unit so I had spare internals (the stator makes them 120 amp), and a good case with a minimum of imperfections. Needless to say I raised a lot of hoods.

Brent

I just replaced mine with one from a 1996 impala ss,140 amps.the rear brace does not line up but I am going to extend it with a little fab work so it is supported in the rear

Is the Impala/Caprice altenator a "bolt-on" or do you have to "make" it fit?

I just swapped a 160 amp alt out for a 96 impala ss,fit great other than bolt on the rear needs to be clocked.