Wavetrac Differential

There's no comparison between a Ford 9" and a 12 bolt! Ford 9" is much better/stronger then a 12 bolt. The center section is one piece. No rear-end girdle needed. Everything stays intact. I would never use a 12 bolt. May as well stay with the 10 bolt that came with the car.... Agree the D. locker is a rattle. Good rear, or so I'm told. Just didn't want to deal with the noise they make.

I am also in the market to buy either a 12 bolt or a 9" right now. the problem i was having with a fully built 8.5 was the small axle tubes bending forward. the 12 and the 9 both have larger tubes . i like the 12 for its efficiency and it is stock appearing. 9's get expensive when you start pricing a strong enough center section.

A 9" is a much stronger and more versatile design. One thing to consider regarding prices, make sure you compare total cost. 12 bolts need to be assembled, palletized and shipped truck freight - all increasing costs. A 9" rear is shipped UPS in 3 boxes (housing, 3rd member, and axles). You put it together yourself. Rather than spending more money on shipping costs for a weaker rear, I would rather put that money into a stronger rear.

I've been reading about Detroit lockers, and some people have said when It engages, or disengages that the rear end feels a bit squirrelly? Have you experienced this?

While riding in a friends '66 Ford Bronco with a 9" and Detroit locker in the rear and Detroit true trac in front tooling around the block when I lived in Colorado the rear end would chuck and bump as you go around corners. Sounds like roller bearings going through the side gears when the outside axle shaft ratchets to prevent sliding the tires like a spool.

A co-worker (former electrical contractor) has a 60' boom truck mounted on a GMC chassis with a Detroit locker and says it sounds like the rear end is coming apart when turning.

As previously mentioned the '85 GMC S-15 Jimmy I had with 33- 12.50's and powertrax lock right locker (same design as a Detroit locker, just rated 250hp max) would pull to the left and right requiring steering input while transitioning from accelerating to decelerating when traveling the canyon curves on the way home to Estes Park.

If you drive less than 25% on the street I would say go for the Detroit locker, otherwise I would go with something smoother and less noisy.

I am also in the market to buy either a 12 bolt or a 9" right now. the problem i was having with a fully built 8.5 was the small axle tubes bending forward. the 12 and the 9 both have larger tubes . i like the 12 for its efficiency and it is stock appearing. 9's get expensive when you start pricing a strong enough center section.

If you plan on purchasing a new rearend , check out Quick Performance . They saved me a ton over Moser for the exact same 9" .
The 12 bolt I priced out was just about the same as the 9".

DSCN0492.JPG

While riding in a friends '66 Ford Bronco with a 9" and Detroit locker in the rear and Detroit true trac in front tooling around the block when I lived in Colorado the rear end would chuck and bump as you go around corners. Sounds like roller bearings going through the side gears when the outside axle shaft ratchets to prevent sliding the tires like a spool.

A co-worker (former electrical contractor) has a 60' boom truck mounted on a GMC chassis with a Detroit locker and says it sounds like the rear end is coming apart when turning.

As previously mentioned the '85 GMC S-15 Jimmy I had with 33- 12.50's and powertrax lock right locker (same design as a Detroit locker, just rated 250hp max) would pull to the left and right requiring steering input while transitioning from accelerating to decelerating when traveling the canyon curves on the way home to Estes Park.

If you drive less than 25% on the street I would say go for the Detroit locker, otherwise I would go with something smoother and less noisy.

Almost Every review I've read stating these characteristics was in 4wd vehicles. I personally know 3 guys that had lockers in their cars, and they all loved it, and claimed the most was no big deal. 2 were loud v8's, and one was a Turbo Ta with a loud exhaust, and external fuel pump which all 3 probably masked any differential noise.

Almost Every review I've read stating these characteristics was in 4wd vehicles. I personally know 3 guys that had lockers in their cars, and they all loved it, and claimed the most was no big deal. 2 were loud v8's, and one was a Turbo Ta with a loud exhaust, and external fuel pump which all 3 probably masked any differential noise.

Maybe it's more predominant in shorter wheel based vehicles, in my case any way. My Jimmy was 100" and the Broncos are 92" although the GMC boom truck is 2wd and in the 170" range.
I am building a '62 IH Scout 80 that will have Detroit lockers front and rear which is a no no according to all the 4wd mags, so what do I know.

i had a detroit locker in a moser 9 in my last T Type. It would make a loud ratcheting click when turning and would twitch the rear of the car whenever i got on the gas hard. It really wasn't a big deal, but i would probably not buy one again when there are better options available.

i had a detroit locker in a moser 9 in my last T Type. It would make a loud ratcheting click when turning and would twitch the rear of the car whenever i got on the gas hard. It really wasn't a big deal, but i would probably not buy one again when there are better options available.

I'm not sure what the better option is. When I bought the Wavetrac I thought I was getting the best diff., but so far it has been pretty disappointing. Autotech claims mine is probably an early model which they had issues with, but I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
With my current project I went with a Platinum Trac diff. from Currie. 8 helical gears vs. 4 in the True Trac (I think the wave Trac is 6- but don't quote me).