Water Cooled Turbos II

salvageV6

Daily Driver
Just a few minor questions. ;)

1. What water and additives are you using? I plan on running heater hose water which will mean water and anti-freeze 50/50 mix. Anyone have good news or bad news about that?

2. Anyone ever hear of a water cooled turbo housing rusting or leaking between the water and oil sections? Or on your shoes while you are standing in front of the car? :eek:

Trying to set it up right and for longevity. :)

TIA

Hey Salvage, who makes water cooled turbos and is there an advantage to cooling it ( longer bearing life, seals ) Was it a lot more $$$ and what size is it? Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks, Tarey D.

Innovative makes them and Jack Cotton has them.

Double ball bearings need extra cooling on the exhaust side bearing so they come setup with the water ports in them.

It was a ton of money. :D

Got a good deal from Jack since he had one in stock, still a ton of money. ;)

It's a 70. :eek:

Originally posted by I eat Z06
Its gotta be good for a long period of time, comes stock on a WRX. Nick

They used water cooled turbos on some Chrysler 4 cylinder motors in the 80's. They did no better than other turbos non water cooled.:)

For longevity with a water cooled turbo, the use of RMI-25 would be recommended antifreeze or not.

Highly recommended!

That will stop the white deposits in your rad that comes from silicate dropout associated with antifreeze use. And as you also know, the antifreeze mix will transfer heat much better with RMI.

Do any of you know what size fittings are needed to run lines to the turbo? I have the turbo in my living room and was thinking of taking it to Advance Auto to have them fit me some hard lines to run to my t.b. bypass hoses. I just wanted to know in case they didn't. Thanks.

My turbo has 3/8" NPT fittings on it for water.

I plan on going 3/8" close nipple to a pipe adapter to 1/2" NPT with a chrome hose barb fitting for 5/8" heater hose. Hose barb fitting was a Spectre thing got it at Pep Boys in the cheesy chrome bling bling section. :D

Other fitting I got a right angle 3/8" NPT that went to a -8an fitting which I turned into a 5/8" hose barb rather easily.

NAPA has a good 2 foot long 5/8" universal heater hose with 90 degree bend in it. That goes onto the 90 degree fitting.

The other straight out the back fitting will use regular 5/8" heater hose. Both hoses will go right over the valve cover area.

Relocating the heater control valve to straight out from the heater with short straight hose.

Using two 5/8" glass filled T barb thingys to run the inlet and outlet hoses to the turbo.

All done with readily available pieces of 5/8" heater hose, I hope.

Looks good on paper so far. Mounted all the fittings in the turbo too, looks fine.

Well, I took the turbo to Advance Auto and the guy brought out some tranny hard lines. They screwed right on. The only problem I see is that when the ends are securely on the turbo the line itself can still move. I can't say if it will leak or not as I have no way to test with pressure. If it does leak I guess I'll just use some kind of leak sealant on it. I thought about having it welded, but if I ever need to take the lines back off I would have to cut them due to all the bends. Like you, mine looks good on paper...so far.

If tranny lines move in and out - it will leak. Go get the proper fittings for your lines - Advance Auto should carry them. They will be brass fittings like on your master cylinder and transmisson.

You can probably get a fitting that adapts the 3/8" NPT pipe fitting to inverted flare tranny line hard pipe.

Sounds like your turbo has the same NPT fittings in it as mine, can't use the flared pipe into that fitting it will leak.