wanted !!! ~ MINT ~ winchester MODEL 70 made in 1950's or older 270/308 cal

ttaowner

looking for a virgin gun with no extra holes for scopes or peep sights. i really want a super nice one i had one that i was suppose to buy then the guy backed out on selling it and i was giving him exactly what he wanted,

i want it to have a normal straight stock with a metal butt plate in 270 cal or 308 perhaps. like i said gun should be mint or near mint no scratched up wood ,no rust, li basically looking for a gun that time forgot and wasnt hunted with

regular grade gun is fine dont need a super grade and i havent figured out what a featherweight consits of yet.

i believe but could be wrong that some of the pre 64's had the rubber/ plastic buttplate which isnt what im not necessarily looking for.

if anyone knows of anything let me know please. i just starting this search and may not be ready to buy immediately. i realize there are gun auction sights which is where i have been looking.

I'm figuring around $1000 for the right gun. Had one in my hand but didn't have the cash at the time or realize what it was. 2 weeks later I had the cash and he was still wanting to sell and then I got jerked around for 3 days then he sold it to his dad. Gun looked like it was made yesterday and I believe it was made in 1952 supposedly he bought 2 from the same guy in the same condition but put a scope on the other and preferred the one without the scope . I was pissed because initially he was sort of bugging me about buying it then when I wanted it / had the money all I got was excuses

308 won't be original James. I'd go with a 30-06 or 270 myself but an original will cost more than $1K unless you get lucky. Model 70's are the pinicle for a lot of collectors and I still don't get it. I'd much rather have a Mauser any day of the week since that's what the 70 was designed off of.;) See if you can find an original obendorf comercial rifle and it will be a much nicer piece.:cool:

Winchesters and marlin were both within 20 minutes from me. Smith Wesson is 45 minutes up the road . Savage is under a hour. Charles Parker was in my home town. I believe Remington was 45 minutes south in Bridgeport at one time or at least 1 major gun manufacturer was. So I kinda like to buy some of the guns made around here.

Yeah I thought the made a pre64 .308 but not in the 50's . I realized the gun I had in my hand was a good deal after I looked it up but if you don't have the money at the time there's not much you can do about it. I'm telling you that gun was pristine!!!

Stick with the pre '64 Winchester. Probably the most respected gun.

No doubt !!! I could buy a newer rifle never fired without much of a challenge but there is no collectibility there or no challenge in finding one

i have a model 70 in a 3oo winchester short mag very nice piece but mine is newer only bout 7yrs old they are very well made and very acurate but as was mentioned a 30-06 or a 270 will be great for the hunt or a 308.