Vin numbers-locations

garrett

Can anyone tell me the locations of identification numbers on 1984 Buick Regals. Is there one on the frame?
I took all the parts out of a rusty 84 T-type and put them in a solid bodied 84 regal. The conversion is complete, but I am now faced with an insurance problem. If I switch vin tags and license plates, What else do I have to switch. I have switched every part except the body panels and the frame. If I do not switch the vin tags and I get in an accident, the insurance company will rip me off by giving me what a normally aspirated 1984 Regal is worth. I can't get specialty insurance because it is my back and forth to work car.

DONT NOT SWAP VIN's! There are many places where the VIN is stamped on the frame and body. You will need to get a stated value insurance policy for your car.

insurance

I will try to do this, but I don't know of an agreed upon value insurance company that will insure a daily driver. Do you know of such an insurance company?

I bought a car; a person did just what you want to do.

This person was charged with insurance fraud among numerous other charges.

His fines were enormous.

I bought the car; it became a parts car due to him doing that.

You can go to the DMV or your insurance company and ask them how to have a car re vin'd there is a fairly high fee to have it done as a person does come out to inspect the car, then the paper work starts.

Not a easy process, as it should not be.

Later AJ

You sound like I'm trying to rip someone off or defraud someone. I've spend over 200 hours and alot of $ doing this conversion. I just want my investment protected. I think I deserve that. If I get hit by some stupid fool or someone steals my TURBO REGAL, I just want a fair price for it.

You sound like I'm trying to rip someone off or defraud someone. I've spend over 200 hours and alot of $ doing this conversion. I just want my investment protected. I think I deserve that. If I get hit by some stupid fool or someone steals my TURBO REGAL, I just want a fair price for it.

No not at all; this person did exactly what you are talking about doing.

He was stopped in a random check.

The officer who stopped him knew the difference between the cars. ( or was just guessing)

He had the car towed to the impound, they called in their forensic experts and said the car was not as registered.

That is why he was charged with insurance fraud etc.

If he had gotten someone who did not know these cars he may have walked away without issue. (Is it worth your reputation and a major charge to risk it?)

All I was doing was giving you a heads up as to what could happen if you did it.

Do it the proper way call the insurance company/mvc and tell them what you have done; ask them how to have the vin correctly match the vehicle you now have.

It varies from State to State.

It cost him over 20k because he did not get it done correctly.

Sorry for the confusion, AJ

Not to come off the wrong way, but your car will always have the VIN# it came with. Just changing the VIN plate will not change that. There are other locations that I have found on the body of my own car and on the frame that have the VIN# stamped incase of a scenario where someone tries to swap the VIN plate. I understand that you are trying to protect your investment, but on the other hand if down the line you try to sell the car as a legit turbo car when it was a clone/conversion you would be defrauding whoever buys it. This happens all the time with old Chevelles and GTOs and Camaros, etc. The value is dependent on the model. A Chevelle SS is worth more than a regular Chevelle and a GTO is worth more than a Lemans, etc.
Best bet is to do some research with the different insurance companies and see who has a stated value policy. If not, you should talk to your insurance agent about having the car appraised and having it insured for that value. There really isnt much more you can do.