Vehicle static electricity

TheDoughboy

My wifes 2002 civic has Major static issues. Everytime you exit the car you Will get a shock when you go to close the door. You of course can push it close by the plastic handle or like my wife does, using her purse as a buffer. If you forget, Zap!!

My question is does anyone know what those "straps" that hang off the under rear of some cars on to the ground are? I think they might be some sort of grounding strap. They must be an aftermarket item as I have seen them on rice rockets to luxury cars.

Am I on the right track here? I have searched the web just now with no luck.

TIA

Ron

Make sure the wife touches something metal before she pumps gas. There has been a rash of static fires lately.

Yes the rubber strips are supposed to discharge the static into the ground.I'd bet pep boys has some in the rice isle.:D

I have been getting the same thing from my Astro since I bought it.
Every time I get out...zap!
I learned though, when I go to get out, I always touch something metal AS I am getting out. Ive thought about the pumping gas issue too. :eek:

Yeah we get the zap before pumping the gas and do not re-enter the car before it's done pumping. I can deal with the zap, but her.......

I will have to look for them. If she got a Buick like me she would not have this problem.:D

Ron,
Did you check with the Honda dealer about this?
They used to have an issue with static shock on their
Accords that was found to be caused by the tires.
It was so bad that the toll booth operators were complaining
about getting zapped every time handed change to people
driving Accords...

This is kinda off topic but pretty important. Remember this, when pouring fuel from a Plastic jug to Plastic funnel or pouring fuel into a plastic jug. Static electricity can and will build up while doing this, all it takes is a tiny spark to ignite the fumes. Make sure to ground them while pouring. As far as car static you can spray some "Static Guard" on the carpet and seats.

Originally posted by Rollin
..Remember this, when pouring fuel from a Plastic jug to Plastic funnel or pouring fuel into a plastic jug. Static electricity can and will build up while doing this, all it takes is a tiny spark to ignite the fumes. Make sure to ground them while pouring..
Yes, I've read of explosions when people were filling plastic cans resting in the plastic bed of their pickup truck .. the metal nozzles are always grounded, maybe it's not always enough. This is why some can instructions say "place can on ground before filling".

Most vehicles rely on the tires providing some grounding -- the carbon black in tires is often enough conductivity. Apparently some brands of tires and/or wheels don't provide enough conductivity.

The fuel that we buy also has a compound added to it to reduce or eliminate the static electricity. What it is I have no idea. Someone with further knowledge of this feel free to chime in!!!!!! Drew:)

Originally posted by topfuel
Ron,
driving Accords...

Never heard of such a thing like tires doing that. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to check, Thanks Topfuel!

Originally posted by topfuel
Ron,
driving Accords...

i have to agree its the tires!!!!!!

also-

when your filling up your tank with gasoline, read the little orange and black stickers POSTED on the pumps warning you about filling up plastic tanks in the beds of pickup trucks-

it gets real bad here in the winters when its dry out and cold-
i watch the news and about 1 person a month in KC dies due to the fact that they get back into their car once they start filling the tank.. and then once they get back out of the car and touch the handle of the pump nozzle.. BOOOOOM!!!
glad i have a diesel to drive in the winter:cool: