VDO electric oil pressure gauge??

Thunder

Wanna-be 10 sec'r
I just got a chance to install my VDO oil pressure gauge (electrical). The needle on this gauge moves slow, in comparison to my boost gauge. It moves slow going both up, and down in pressure. I think this is probably normal, but wanted to see if this is the way it works for others.

Thanks

What do you call slow? It can't be as fast as the boost/vac gauge because it is a direct pressure changing a variable resister which is what causes gauge to change.
When I crank my engine the gauge moves quickly over to full scale and when the engine starts the gauge drops to the 60 psi range.
Shouldn't take but 1 second to start moving as the pressure increases.

Gary :cool:

I'm wondering if my wiring has anything to do with it?? I have 16 gauge +, and -. It takes care of my console pod.. lights, and gauge for oil, and water temp. I also used 16 gauge to the sender. Possible a little voltage drop, and extra resistance?? maybe?? Just for a test, I'm going to relocate the oil pressure gauge to under the hood, right by the sender. I'll use a little heavier gauge, and wire the power straight to the battery. That will keep all the wires really short, and then I can eliminate that. I'll post my results!!

All is good!!

Seems like everything is normal!! I relocated the gauge, and it responds exactly the same. I also disconnected wiring to it, while it was working, and found that is still drops at exactly the same speed!! Guess I'll have to get used to the slower moving needle, or move up to a mechanical gauge!

The newer gauges have a buffer in them while the older ones don't. My GN has the older one and it responds like a tach while my T-Type has a newer one and its much slower to respond. Both are accurate.