Various gun & recoil spring manufacturers recommendations for recoil spring replacement:

Gary Wells

White turbo Buick trailer park trash
Handgun Recoil Spring Recommendations: 07-13-2011

Currently in my handguns:
1) Springfield Armory Trophy Match: Wolff V.R. 16.5 #.
2) Les Baer Premier II: Wolff V.R. 16.5 #.
3) Jim Hoag Long-Slide: Wolff V.R. 16.5 #.
4) Ed Brown Executive Target: Original Issue non-V.R. 16.5 #.
5) Wilson Combat Classic SG: Original Issue non-V.R. 17.0 #.

Ed Brown Custom recommendations:
(1) Recoil spring replacement: Every 1K-2K rounds. (EB # 9165-G). (2) Firing pin spring replacement: Every 3K-5K rounds. (EB # 908). (3) Mainspring replacement: Every 3K-5K rounds. (EB # 919). (4) Correctly match recoil spring to the load being shot. (5) No Shok-buffs. (6) Ejected brass should land 8-12 feet away. (7) If brass is falling within a few feet, the spring is too heavy for that load. (8) If brass is falling beyond the 12 feet, the spring is too light for that load.

Springfield Armory recommendations:
“Mil-Spec” & “Loaded” models in .45 ACP are factory supplied with a 16 lb recoil spring. Their 1911 .45 ACP long-slide uses a standard length recoil spring for a 5” gun @ 15 or 16 lbs. The .45 Super V16 (ported) uses the same recoil spring when using .45 auto ammo, but a 18.5 lb recoil spring when using .45 Super ammo.

Wilson Combat recommendations:
WC 5” .45 autos are shipped with a 17 lb spring. Wilson Combat recoil spring on-line blog recommends a 15 lb.-18.5 lb. spring. Recommended recoil spring replacement: (mechanical failures / issues).
(1) A return to battery failure. (2) Torn Shok-buff within a few hundred rounds of installation. (3) ½” or more shorter than a new one. (4) Purchase of a second-hand gun. (5) Ejection - extraction pattern changes suddenly.

W. C. Wolff Gunsprings recommendations: If cases are landing in the 3 ft-6 ft: recoil spring is approximately correct If cases are landing less than 3 ft: recoil spring is too heavy for that load If cases are landing beyond the 6 ft-8 ft: recoil spring is too light for that load.

Integrated Spring Management Inc. (ISMI) recommendations:
“The recoil spring should be changed, at the latest, when it has lost .500” of free length from new. At this point, the spring has suffered a considerable reduction in load exerted at installed length. (When it is in battery).

Are you asking or telling Gary?

Other than where I show what springs are in my guns, Those are recommendations made by various gun manufacturers & spring manufacturers. I guess that makes me telling. Not too sure why the query, Charlie?

Couldn't tell if you were asking for advice on new springs or offering it to those of us that own 1911's Gary.:)

That's just some miscellaneous info & data that I collected from manufacturers, their sites, their catalogs, instructions, & other sources.

Great info.
My Kimber Classic Custom came with a 18.5 lbs spring. That's proven to be a bit too heavy for the target reloads I shoot on the weekends. I now run a 16.5 lbs recoil spring. This 1911 typically sees 400-500 rounds between cleanings with zero issues.

Hey Gary, With all those high doller 45s you've got, When you have a bad day at the range, (unlike me) you can't blame it on the gun.:p:D

Mike B.

Great info. My Kimber Classic Custom came with a 18.5 lbs spring. That's proven to be a bit too heavy for the target reloads I shoot on the weekends. I now run a 16.5 lbs recoil spring. This 1911 typically sees 400-500 rounds between cleanings with zero issues.
Hey Gary, With all those high doller 45s you've got, When you have a bad day at the range, (unlike me) you can't blame it on the gun.:p:D
Mike B.

Considering that I load my own ammo, I can't blame the ammo either. That leaves only old age, bad eyesight, & the meds. A good stiff shot of Yamazaki 18 YO SMW & a splash of water will straighten me right out. If not, I'm going to start spiking my drinking water with that stuff. Hmmm! Now there's a plan.