vacuum brakes[suck]???

jim406

just got a tr someone converted the powermaster to vacuum the pedal is low /very sloppy [wiggles insie car on shaft]and when accelerating and sudden stoppedal is hard.do i need a vac reserve and re blled i didnt realy check it yet... or should i put the powermaster back on also very sloppy vacuum hose setup on upper plenum

Power Master

go to Advance Auto parts or oreilly or autozone and give them part number 52-9702 that is the entire remand powermaster system....just put it on tonight..the old powermaster had the motor running all the time brake light on and pulled to the right and now she is fixed took about hour and a half...it rocks to not have to convert

you could do that but your gonna have to change the brake pedal back to the original one. i would just get a new booster.:D

Re: Power Master

Originally posted by sdteb
she is fixed took about hour and a half...it rocks to not have to convert

OK, ROCK NOW.............BUT, IT'S JUST A MATTER OF TIME. ;)

Just did the conversion on mine and the Vacuum setup works BETTER than the Powermaster. Better feel, smoother braking and I don't have to woory on if the last time I hit the brakes was the last time they would work.

Get a new booster and check and see if the bushings are on the pedal shaft/bracket. Make sure you have the correct pedal too.

It sounds like someone didnt change the pedal as the Powermaster pedal is different than the one used on vacuum brakes OR like Jim said, the bushings are shot in the pedal.
The vacuum set up has a lot more power assist than the Powermaster set up. You shouldnt have any problems stopping the car with vacuum set up. Unless ofcourse you have some other sort of brake issue such as glazed/worn pads and shoes or air in the system.

I bought a complete unit from the junkyard off an '86 Regal - $50.
I don't trust junkyard parts, so I bought a lifetime warranty master cylinder - $40.
The Casper vacuum block for the TTA wasn't available yet - I bought one of the two GM had at that time - $85.
I installed the assembly & the vacuum booster unit from the junkyard leaked vacuum - lifetime warranty one - $90.

A couple times on the street when pulling out into heavy traffic (read WOT- maximum boost & no vacuum to operate the vacuum brake boost unit), I would have some brain dead about 2-300' up the road also pull out. By the time I would realize the road is totally blocked (by the brain dead in the Toyota or the suv), I'd be over 40 mph & have to use both feet on the brake pedal to stop (also the traffic behind me is moving 40 - 50 mph.

I bought a vacuum booster pump for the early '80s Citation to give me vacuum to the brake booster all the time - $240. Had so much trouble finding the necessary 3/8” check valves, I never did finish the install.

After about a year the vacuum brake booster developed a vacuum leak. The leak was not steady & varied with every application & release of the brakes. Troubleshooting my IAC was a real hair puller, until I figured out the vacuum brake unit was leaking. No problem, lifetime warranty, I got & installed another unit.

The now third vacuum brake booster developed a leak in about a week. My last trip home from work with this vacuum booster unit was a nightmare. The computer was adding fuel to the leak & the TR was idling at approximately 2k rpm or 70+ mph. At the seemed like thousands of RED lights, using both feet to hold the brakes, the TR would not idle & would die unless I fed it more foot feed - however it took both feet to hold the brakes. I guess I was fortunate the seat didn't break loose from the floor.
I got my money back for the vacuum booster & have a Citation unused vacuum boost pump for sale & bought a lifetime warranty PM. My IAC is now adjusted properly & the PM always works (so far). The only problem with the PM install was that the old unit had blown the fuse.
You can do what you want & I have two local friends who have had no complaints about their vacuum conversions. I just couldn't see the difference in price - PM lifetime warranty - $199. Vacuum conversion - $505 & couldn't set IAC.
HTH,
Roger
-----

You know, Roger
you keep cutting and pasting your experience...I appreciate that you had a NIGHTMARE with your conversion. I think it was just bad luck.
There are millions of Vacuum brake setups rolling around everyday with no problems.
Personally, I like the security of not wondering WHEN my brakes will fail (and the PM system will fail without much, if any warning)

Look at it this way - If the PM system was a good relaible unit, why was it discontinued after a few years (and limited model) use? GM knows more than we do.

I have had mine converted for 3 years now with no problems. My booster came off a 87 Regal in a salvage yard. No problems here.
I did use the master that came with it and it did work up until I converted to the b body brakes and then install a new large bore master.
My 78 Malibu is now 25 years old and has 93k miles on it. It still has the original booster. As does our Monte SS.
I have never owned a G body where the booster went bad. I am not saying it couldnt happen, but chances are pretty slim. In all the years I have been working on cars, the part that usually DOES fail is the check valve. There are a few things that are guaranteed in life; dying, paying taxes and that your Powermaster WILL die at some point.

zam70

I don't have the same good luck with making changes as I see many others on the board do.
I'm not he kind who like a brake problem affecting my keeping the engine running. If I had only 1 or 2 problems with th vacuum system, I would have kept it as do some other local TR owners.

powermaster

I was going to convert to vaccum however i really wanted to keep the powermaster for originality....got the entire system from o'reilly for around 225.00 works great....just a thought.....part number 52-9702 at any parts house

WHEN THE POWERMASTER WORKS PROPERLY, IT'S A VERY GOOD UNIT. PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE. JUST THAT WITH THE AGE OF THEM, THEY'RE GOING SOUTH. I DON'T THINK IT'S GOING TO HELP VALUE UNLESS YOU HAVE A CONCOURSE GN WITH LOW MILES.

I've had vacuum brakes on the GN since '96 after the powermaster failed. I haven't touched it since. :) (I have blown out a check valve though :D) I will convert the T-Type to vacuum brakes too, once I get it running. Although the powermaster seems to work fine on it right now.

It is an awakening experience to say the least, if and when the powermaster should fail.

Awakening?

I wouldn't call it an awakening experience, I'd call it more of a HUGE *pucker* factor experience :eek: :D