Vacuum brake/S-10 cylinder users

V6POWER

I just converted to vacuum brakes and the rest of my brake system is stock. I cannot hold more than 3# boost at the line since the conversion. I'm thinking of converting to the S-10 wheel cylinders and different pads/shoes but I would like some input from users before I do that.
Are you pleased with the S-10 cylinders?
What pads/shoes are you using?
How much boost can you hold?
Is there a problem with rear wheel lock up with the S-10?
Thanks for any comments.

I did the S10 wheel cylinders years ago on my '79 Cutlass for better braking

I used to use it to pull my race car & trailer, and customer's boats and such, and I never like the pedal feel. After the 7/8" wheel cylinders, it had a much better pedal, and would stop considerably harder, and my front pads lasted longer as well. I've never tried the longer shoes. :cool:

Rickracer--I'm not clear on what you are saying. Did you not like the pedal feel with the S-10? Aren't they 7/8"? What had a better pedal feel and would stop considerably harder? :confused:

The S10/7/8" cylinders worked great

I never like the feel or stopping power of the stock brakes, but they worked much better all around with the S10 cylinders.

I'd be interested to know what are the best shoes out there too. I understand that you buy two set of shoes and use only the longer of the shoes. Correct?

What you need are organic brake shoes. In order to use the longer sides, you'd have to buy two sets. I put on organics but just used the one set I purchased.

I adjusted the rear brakes so they just barely drag and I have Performance Friction shoes on rear (two long shoes per side). I can still only hold less than 3# boost while brake torqueing.

No on the S-10 cylinders. I have had a few negative comments about their locking up the rear brakes.

They might be a little touchy on slick surfaces...

...like ice or oil slick roads, but otherwise, they worked great for me. :cool:

Originally posted by Look Quick
No on the S-10 cylinders. I have had a few negative comments about their locking up the rear brakes.

I see......:confused: You're worried about holding boost with your race car but you're worried about driving with your street car. Oh. :eek:

Red Regal T----I could have it both ways with the original powermaster. Is it asking too much to have it both ways with the conversion?

The vacuum conversion works great for normal driving but it appears that I have to purchase a lot more parts to make it work like the pm unit did for drag strip use.

My understanding of the S-10 cylinders is that you should have an adjustable proportioning valve in order to get the correct balance between the front/rear brakes. The stock valve will not do that and is probably the reason for rear brakes locking unexpectedly on some cars.

I am seriously considering getting a remanufactured pm unit from Auto Zone and giving up on the conversion (you want it back?). At least I know the rears won't lock up with the pm, I just don't know how long the pm unit will last though.

I have run S-10 cylinders for years with no down sides.I still have a power monster though.What are you running for tires up front?I had to ditch my skinnies because they would skate through the lights at 5# of boost.I went back to a 15x7 wkeel up front and back to 12# launches.

HI GUYS! WE HAD TALKED ABOUT THE HYDROBOOST SYSTEM BEFORE. IT WAS ORIGINALLY USED ON THE 83 85 T TYPES, BUT BUICK SWITCHED TO THE POWERMASTER FOR APPARENT EASE OF PLUMBING. THE HYDROBOOST SYSTEM IS PRESSURIZED FROM THE POWER STEERING PUMP, AND REQUIRES "NO VACUUM" IT IS CAPABLE OF GENERATING UP TO 1800 PSI IF YOU ASK IT TO. THE GREAT THING ABOUT IT, IS WHEN YOU STAND ON THE BRAKE AND THE THOTTLE, THE PUMP ACTUALLY SPEEDS UP AND PRODUCES MORE BRAKE BOOST TO HOL DTHE CAR, INSTEAD OF DROPPING OFF AS VACUUM WILL. WITH THE HYDROBOOST, IT IS POSSIBLE TO SPOOL UP THE TURBO TO ANY STALL SPEED YOU WISH., AND LEAVE THE LINE AT 5LBS OF BOOST OR MORE. THEY ARE ALSO VERY COMFORTABLE IN EVERY DAY DRIVING, WITH JUST A TOE TOUCH. THEY CAN LAST 200,000 MILES WITH NO LOSS OF POWER, THEY JUST NEED CLEAN OIL. WE HAVE THE COMPLETE CONVERSION SET UP TO BOLT ON TO YOUR CAR. WE CAN EVEV PROVIDE STAINLESS BRAIDED HOSE KITS TO THE PUMP AND BOX. THE HYDROBOOST IS VIEWABLE AT POWERBRAKESERVICE.NET OUR PH 800 504 1060. I WAS THE ORIGINAL GUY THAT STARTED THE S10 W/ CYL CONVERSION IN 1987 TO SOLVE THE WEAK REAR BRAKE PROBLEM THEN. IF YOU WANT A SUPER BRAKE SYSTEM THAT WILL OUTPERFORM ANY THING ELSE TRY THE HYDROBOOST. IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY, WE WILL GIVE YOU A COMPLETE REFUND

Matt,
What is the wait for this setup?How many have you guys converted etc.I have read posts of guys waiting 3 weeks while their cards where charged.I am interested and it sounds cool,but I am a perfectionist and customer service means alot.Could you please alloborate?Thanks

There was one post, and it was due to complications. We had to make sure of the proper measurements, as we were not going to send the wrong parts. All things are taken care of with that one customer, the situation is not what it was made out to be. Please don't let this isolated incidenent sway your decision, as you will not have to worry about that situation with yourself.

I went to your website and clicked on Grand National but I cannot find the 'View' button you refer to.