vacuum bleeding??

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Wanted to try and bleed my brakes using my miti-vac. started at the rear of course.
crack the bleeder open hook up and miti-vac and put about a 20" vacuum on and get NOTHING!

Am I doing something wrong?? Haven't moved to the fronts yet.

http://turbobuick.com/threads/the-powermaster-bleeding-procedure.218912/ I just followed the instructions for vacuum bleeding here exactly as he says except I only pulled about 15" and I got good results. Not sure what a miti-vac is but I just used a generic one from auto zone. make sure all your fittings are tight even those at the MC. if you followed those instructions in the link I sent and still get air and no fluid you gotta have something loose and all that vacuum you're pumping up is just sucking in air through the system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bleeder screw may be clogged , remove it and check , also may have to poke a wire into the hole in wheel cylinder to clear clog at bleeder tip

i usually remove the bleeders and then wrap a little teflon tape on the threads and screw it back in so i dont get leakage from threads

besides a clog..you may need to check that the prop valve isnt stuck blocking flow to rear wheels

Let me guess, no rubber boot on the tit?

what he means is if the wheel cylinder bleed screw is missing the little rubber boot (cap) from the tip of the screw corrosion and dirt gets in clogging the bleeder holes

what he means is if the wheel cylinder bleed screw is missing the little rubber boot (cap) from the tip of the screw corrosion and dirt gets in clogging the bleeder holes

Guess I'm due for some new ones then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had great luck using the Motive Power Bleeder. It's like that vacuum method but pushes fluid through the reservoir. Easy one man job with that.

Don't think you need new ones just yet. Only if they are leaking...

Just as others have stated, the probable cause is debris clogging the bleeder screw. completely remove the bleeder screw and using some wire and brake clean, poke each end of the bleeder screw and blow her out.

Then get some bleeder screw caps (Dorman makes them) at your nearest parts store.

Attachments

• Bleeder screw.jpg
    Bleeder screw.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 69989_x100.jpg
    69989_x100.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 109
I've had great luck using the Motive Power Bleeder. It's like that vacuum method but pushes fluid through the reservoir. Easy one man job with that.
X2 on the motive power bleeder, i borrowed one and couldnt believe how well it worked. Immediately ordered one and have used it dozens of times since

Can I ask what plate are you guys using on top of the brake reservoir (Master Cylinder) with your Motive Vacuum Bleeders?

I have the 0105 rectangular cap and it works but it's very close to the edges. If I bought it again I'd get the 0115 rectangular cap, its larger and probably much easier to get sealed.

Mine came with an aluminum top plate (i think its the larger one mentioned above). One tip- toss the hokey chains and turnbuckles that come with it in the barrel and get a pair of small irwin quick clamps (the squeeze kind with the yellow rubber caps on the jaws) and use those to secure the top plate to the master, works like a champ and much quicker.

I agree with this, the chains are pretty crappy. I used a couple C clamps and it works great.

Thanks for the tips guys....when vacuum bleeding you are pushing brake fluid out in a reverse direction compared to normal brake bleeding. procedure.
I have a question regarding the order in which to bleed each brake cylinder when vacuum bleeding using the Motive Power bleeder.
Am I correct in my assumption that you would bleed in reverse order. Eg. start at driver front, passenger front, driver rear and finally pasenger rear?

I disagree, when you vacuum bleed you are literally sucking fluid through the system. This gets difficult when doing the rears with the proportioning valve. The power bleeder attaches to the master cylinder reservoir and forces fluid through the system. The procedure is the same as bleeding manually, start at the wheel furthest from the master.

Systems like the Mityvac suck the brake fluid though the system and out the bleeder. Systems like the Motive Power pressurize the system for push the fluid out. Either system works well and eliminates the need for a pedal pusher.

Thanks gents.....must of had a Seniors' moment......don't know why I thought this, but for some reason I was thinking that the Motive power bleeder pulled the brake fluid out....my bad.....
After thinking about it, I now see that it pushes the fluid thru. (y)