V2 vs Spal vs ME!!!!

Phatman

Senior Irish Member
Has anyone other than myself had problems with plumbing their V2 with the Spal fans ?

I am not able to make the turbo to IC connection with the Spal fan set up. I called Tony today and ordered a new 3" pipe in hopes it will work. The pipe is making contact with the passenger side fan motor.

Just another minor set back in my quest for speed.

:cool:

I made them work. The trick is to either:

1. move the fans all the way over to the driver side of the rad
2. trim the fans where they contact the radiator to make the whole unit contact all the way flat.

one or both of these together may help the interference.

I had 2.5 in pipes on mine with no probs. I upgraded to 3 in pipes and the fittiment problems started. I did both of the above mods and they fit perfect. Also the fans look better as they are now totally flush with the rad core. It seems like a lot more air is being sucked through now.

Oh BTW you are kiddin about the ic pipe right? My buddy has been waiting for one easily for several months. One of mine blew off and hit the crank pulley putting a big ol dent on it. I had to mod it up and fixed it in order to avoid ordering one id never get.:mad:

I can take pics of the fan mod if you need them.

Move the fans to the passenger side and shorten the end of the pipe that goes to the turbo about 1/4-1/2"...this pivots the pipe away from the back of the fan motor.

I tried mounting a set of SPAL fans a couple years ago right after putting my V2 on. Had the same problem and sent the fans back :mad:
Wish now I would have kept them!!

My idea lately is to lop off about 1" of the upper end of the turbo to intercooler pipe. That way the top of the pipe would have to move in 1" closer to the turbo, thus moving it a little further away from the radiator. I think there's enough extra pipe to do it, but maybe an inch wouldn't be required.

Waddya think?

I moved the fans all the way over to the driver side as Louie had suggested, cut 1/2" off the pipe as Steve suggested and life is grand.

Tony did make a point about cutting the pipe, he thought that it may put the bend too close and not leave enough room for adequate clamping under high boost. I left as much as possiable which put the pipe almost in contact with the turbo. I think this will still leave room for double clamps if necessary.

:cool: