unlockable 200 r4

z-ya

I have a 200 r4 behind a ls1 in my camaro, can't get it to lock up at all.
I had a new solenoid and 4th gear pressure switch installed plus the internal
wiring checked and all is good.I only have 2 wires coming out of the plug on the side of thr trans, +12v to one and ground to the other with a simple manual switch and no dice. I have a spare converter that I can try
but would rather not as this stalls perfect at 3800 just won't lock on the highway. Kinda sucks with a 430 gear and no lock up.Century built the
tranny originally and I checked with Mike and he said it should lock up.
I've tried everything I can think of save the converter.
Tia
Mark

So, you have measured the 12v with a meter? When you apply the twelve volts does the lockup solenoid click? Have you ever been able to get it to lock up?

Yes I verified 12v to the plug,when I had it repaired the solenoid was bad,put
a new 3/4 pressure switch in it and had him check all the internal wires for continuity.Put CK's plate and servo in at the same time to smooth out the downshifts but that should be irrelevant.This trans has never locked since i've
owned it but the previous owner said it did. Mike at century dug back through the paper work and said he built it to lock up also. Converter was cut and cleaned before I got it supposedly and given a clean bill of health.
I think its a 9/11 converter buy the looks of it.
Mark

I think so red and blue wires come out of the plug ,i've got 12v to the red and chassis ground to the blue as per the fella that wired the solenoid.
When the solenoid was bad it would blow the fuse when I tried to lock it,
now it does nothing at all.I struggled with this all last season. I bought a spare converter when I ran across one for this application just in case
it's the problem, I hope not as it's a real bitch to change on this car.
Mark

If the solenoid is working you can here it from under the car, just have to manually activate it.

Do you have it wired correct, polarity, is it's backward I don't think it'll work.

Hmm, I've never heard of a solenoid having polarity? Any 2 wire solenoid should be able to be hooked up either way. Even if it was grounded to the case, all that would happen would be a blown fuse.

I did the same thing. Had reverse polarity and blew the fuses out when lockup kicked in. It didn't completely kill the solenoid but now it 'sticks' when it's hot and won't kick off without some coaxing.

On the 4 pin connector on the trans mine is wired to have 12v to the upper
left terminal as you are looking at the connector ,ground is directly below it
on the lower left. Is this the correct oreintation for the wireing???

I believe there is a diode in the soleniod so you dont hear a click in the radio when the converter locks. The diode can be damaged if the polarity is wrong.

Got it lockin and rockin now.It was a wireing issue inside the trans.
THANKS GUYS
Mark