Twin Turbo BBC Build , Out with the LS 4.8.

The 4.8 turbo was a great build but I have sold it off and now have a solid start on my Twin Turbo BigBblock build.
20151229_164159_zpsoabbzks0.jpg

Jus trying to get it back up and running and then I will make the necessary changes to the chassis to help handle the power.

20150810_215839_zps9ckcqynf.jpg

20151122_193756_zpsb6cc9zmg.jpg

20151229_160029_zpsxm48b0fc.jpg

details on motor?
I just sold my BBC 55 chevy and already miss the sound. Would like to build another car with BB and turbo

I don't want to answer for terry but I'm sure his ls setup wasn't going to handle the crazy power he has sucked himself to want to
Make. I know terry just a little to believe he's a smart guy meets a goal and resets and moves forward. All that can be hogwash and maybe he just wants a bbc for the power potential and got a good deal lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Eticket, it been a long time. You summed it up just about right. Don't get me wrong the LS is a great set up. I went a 6.04 in the 1/8 on stock 4.8 motor @29 psi plus 135 hp of nitrous. Only valve springs push rods and the trunion rocker bearing were upgraded all else stock even the head gaskets and rod bolts were stock oh and the cam... 300 dollar Craigs list long block.
So for the money you just cant beat an LS truck motor. But... I got to the point to where I got worried I was gonna throw a rod out the side of the block and probably right on the top end of the track and get my self hurt with the stock rods at their limit. So my initial plan was to build a 4.8 with Callies magnum crank and Oliver rods. I did my research and all these guys with unlimited budgets were selling their 30k dollar LS motors to go to a turbo big block. Me not having unlimited funds decided to skip that step and just go straight to the big block.
So I built a big bore 4.5" (so I can get good flowing heads) with a 4" stroke. 509 cu/in. Along with a Callies magnum crank Oliver Big Block Max rods and a set of CNC ported BBX3 Brodix heads on sitting in a Dart block with billet caps. Valve train is a mechanical Bullet cam with crower steel rockers and Comp cams belt drive.
This is way more motor than my car can currently handle with twin 84mm turbos and nitrous. But I figure I can get the car up and running and make the chassis changes along the way. Im on a TCI th400 so Im sure that thing wont last long behind this motor, but it not in the budget for the Rossler TH210 yet. So I will just run it at a low boost setting as I get all the other items sorted out. Im sure it will go 6.xxx in the 1/8 mile at about 2-4 psi. and in the low 4's @ 30+ psi with the correct chaissis setup and some weight reduction etc.
So the bottom line is, it depends on budget, I didn't plan on building a 35k dollar twin turbo big block and I was pretty much happy with the turbo 4.8 but as Eticket said I kinda sucked my self into this monster.

I wish you best of luck and have a chassis guy recommendation when you're ready.... No first hand experience, but I'm an analyst by trade and done a lot of research myself lsx vs sbc vs bbc is why I made the guess. The lsx has its place but at the end it's like any other motor with limits and peculiarities, then you get into cubic dollars sticking with them. (S2 for us v6s or even high buck 109s) When you see the supposed baddest lsx motor shop in the country (Texas) swap to a 481x built by another shop before going crazy deep into the low 4s, you realize there's a lot that can be done with other platforms for way less hassle.

We are talking stupid power levels that 99.9999% of us will not see, but i do think there are things in each motor that apply down the power chain.

Can't wait to come by and see this when you're done.....?

Last edited:
the right choice for sure inmo,bb and turbos all the way.not that ls is a bad thing but the big block stuff on spray or turbos is just another level,and sound:)