Turbo Short Blocks

Epitome

Staff member
I don't get the feeling that there is a terrible shortage of 109 blocks yet, so why doesn't someone buy up a bunch and machine them at the same time with good cranks and pistons? Is there no advantage to machining the blocks all at once?

You can always go to a NA block. and run the turbo return oil line back to the pan. these blocks are generally less abused anyway. And alot easier to find.

That is my point. NA blocks are still 109 blocks. I am no machinist, but I would think taking 10 blocks through each step and then selling all 10 would be more cost effective than one at a time. I could be completely wrong lol.

It is easier but not cheaper, it still takes the same amount of time to do each one. You also have to fugure in the cost of the parts to build them with and then sit on then waiting to sell them. This idea was a good one at one time when the demand was high, now that the market has shrunk it is not IMO.
Mike

I think you also run into the "I want that brand rod and those pistons" problem, where you need to keep 20 different combinations on the shelf. Weber Racing comes close to this - they offer 109 blocks machined and ready to assemble with steel caps for about $1k, and they will build whatever you want if you want them to assemble it. They probably do the blocks in batches like you suggest, but do the assembly after getting an order. See Weberracing.net - Weber Racing Equipment Inc.

well I need one with the better caps !!! no wait..maybe just the 2 middle ones .. ummm helll maybe just leave the stockers but I want a girdle .. umm maybe a steel crank instead of the stocker .. ummm maybe ..ya get my point :eek: :p