Turbo dumping oil into downpipe is the carbon seal blown?

crashedout1

Well stock downpipe must have hole or something there's oil weeping out of it and burning is this sign of a blown carbon seal?

Yup. Time for a rebuild. I wonder what is involved in changing the seal gpop sales a seal kit.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Carbon seals are on the cold side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is on the exhaust side? What would cause it to let go? Draw thru turbos confuse me lol.

I had limit and gpop build me HA turbos before Bison was doing them. "I" prefer to support the good board vendors. Just saying. lol

Carbon seals are on the cold side

So it would dump oil into the intake then not the downpipe there's smoke coming off the downpipe smells like oil burning coming through the mesh on the downpipe

So it would dump oil into the intake then not the downpipe there's smoke coming off the downpipe smells like oil burning coming through the mesh on the downpipe
Yes. The exhaust side is an iron ring. It's not a positive seal

Not going to answer for Bison but I can speak from blown turbo seal experience.

Oil in the intake on any car (especially a HA) is not a good thing. A tiny bit of oil will have significant negative impact on the octane. The intake design will keep oil in the intake and it won't drain out unless the intake is taken off. There is only one way to prevent and solve it. Good luck.

In your experience bison what is usually damaged when it leaks past the ring on the exhaust side?

Back to the drawing board running out of parts to replace. Lol That's OK I have to make my 3" down pipe anyway I have all the stuff to do it. I was planning on sending one of these turbos out for an upgrade.

In your experience bison what is usually damaged when it leaks past the ring on the exhaust side?

Usually the thrust bearing is wasted and the groove on the shaft where the ring goes thrusts into the ring and it's down hill from there. This is assuming that an actual component of the cartridge has failed. There's an undercut on the turbine end that is tapered to a singer. That's what is supposed to keep oil away from the ring. Sometimes it gets carboned up and can't sling the oil as efficiently

Usually the thrust bearing is wasted and the groove on the shaft where the ring goes thrusts into the ring and it's down hill from there. This is assuming that an actual component of the cartridge has failed. There's an undercut on the turbine end that is tapered to a singer. That's what is supposed to keep oil away from the ring. Sometimes it gets carboned up and can't sling the oil as efficiently

Thanks. I might have to take mine apart just for the fun of it now.

Can you "flood" the cartridge and cause oil to leak out of the piston ring if your feed is to big or your drain is poorly routed?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk