Turbo 350

crazygn

10's here i come
Iam really thinking of putting a pontiac turbo350 tran in my car , since i am having problems with my 200 i think i'll use this till i can get another down the road.

I will be in the 11's soon , i want to make sure iam not going to drop to much time from the change over. A 10th or so is not bad but i wont do it if iam going to drop 1/2 a sec or some thing like that.

I will also be running a 3000 stall with the turbo 350 do you think it can hold the power. It was just rebuilt was a shift kit and never ran yet.

what do you guys think, i dont have much money this is y iam thinking of this route.

thanks guys

Hey, guess what. Been there done that. I really dont think you would be happy with it though.
This was on the first TR my brothers and I owned some years back. The 2004R died so we put this 350 from a Buick NA 3.8 in (no sense, I mean cents/money). Hey the earlier TRs had 350s in them!
Well it worked as far as the car being able to move, but the shifts were all out of wack. I played around with the modulator until I got them half way decent, but as far as all out performance it really had taken a loss. I dont know, maybe if it was tweaked by someone who knew what they were doing it could work okay, I dont know. The '83 TR had 350 trannys in them and they were rated at close to the same HP as 84-85 TRs, I was told they were pretty quick. (?)

The more i think about it the more i want to stay with the 200 , i think i'll just start saving for next year. I have seen a few brf trannys going for 600-800.00 do know how good they work or if they need a rebuild. I might just get the stock 85 tranny done up if its not to much money.

Hey CrazyGN, I was talking to my brother and he reminded me of the reason the 350 didnt work. It was so long ago that I didnt remember. Not knowing any better back then, we had the modulator connected to a vac source that also produce boost pressure. Needed to connect to constant vac source.
Not saying that you should go with the 350, but if it was a temporary thing I dont see why it wouldnt work if done correctly.