Trunk lid swap need suggestions on what to do about RPO sticker

crashedout1

Well my original 84 lid is rusty I have a nice 86 na regal trunk lid but than I will lose the correct trunk lid RPO sticker any suggestions..

Take a digital picture of it first. There are companies that will reproduce them but it is expensive. You can sometimes save them. Use a sharp razorblade and slowly slide it under decal and try to cut it off in one piece. Once off it will hopefully have the numbers still on the clear put will have white area missing in spots. Flip it upside down and spray white aerosol paint on backside. Once dry it can be retaped with clear double sided tape and re installed. This also works on door tags.

Yea I was thinking of doing something like that wondering if a heat gun would help peel it sticker is in really good shape

I agree 100 percent to take a picture of the label first.

A heat gun is too much heat - you can discolor the label.

While I've never removed a SPID label, I've found a hairdryer works great to help remove large labels. A hairdryer supplies just enough heat to warm the surface, making the adhesive more pliable. I've used a hairdryer many times to remove shipping labels from boxes without tearing the cardboard outer layer. I'm thinking a razor blade, even new, will mark the paint or scratch it or damage the label when using it to remove the entire label. You'd need a wetting agent to help the blade move smoothly across the paint without damage but a wetting agent will probably damage the sticker.

I'd suggest warming the area with the hairdryer to almost hot to the touch, maybe 120F to 130F or so. hairdryer is about 6-8 inches away from the label. then catch an edge with a new razor blade while still applying heat from the hairdryer. Once you get an edge lifted, keep using the hairdryer to apply heat, keeping the surface still attached warm. The adhesive should remain on the sticker and not be left behind on the deck lid.

maybe try this out on some shipping labels first to learn how a shipping label and adhesive works with heat. The hot air should be just enough to almost be too hot for your fingers holding the label as you peel it away. Anyway, you have some good ideas to try.

Thanks will do worse case senerio I get one printed I almost thought about taking a cut wheel and cutting out that section of the trunk lid and keeping it in the glove box lol

X3 I would cut it off, that way you physically have the label with no worries of possibly destroying it trying to remove it.

The only heat I would advise to use is leave it in the sun for a bit. You are only pulling of the clear cover of the decal. It is very thin and heat stretches it out and ruins it. These are not your normal decal. They are designed to be damaged on removal.

The only heat I would advise to use is leave it in the sun for a bit. You are only pulling of the clear cover of the decal. It is very thin and heat stretches it out and ruins it. These are not your normal decal. They are designed to be damaged on removal.

I thought Kirban's had someone repopping them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirbans isn't repopping the SPID label yet. He only offers the door jamb decals.

The company that make them for him may still make them, Automotive id will make most decals if you have a digital photo. Just not sure they will do this one. Its not cheap! Automotiveid.com