Trick Billet Fuel Tank Pick-up!

Yes, I looked at my spare sending unit and there is only 1 wire to the float. What was the 2nd wire used for? A low fuel level light maybe?
Conrad

The third wire is the power wire for the pump. If this sending unit is for external pumps then that won't be an issue.

Having the three prong connector on the sending unit would be nice as it would require no wiring (just leave the third prong empty). If not, I'm sure buyers can make their own connector.

I'm not sure how to answer the vent question because I don't know its importance. However, how difficult could it be to add one more tube from the sender?

The third wire is the power wire for the pump. If this sending unit is for external pumps then that won't be an issue.

Having the three prong connector on the sending unit would be nice as it would require no wiring (just leave the third prong empty). If not, I'm sure buyers can make their own connector.

I'm not sure how to answer the vent question because I don't know its importance. However, how difficult could it be to add one more tube from the sender?

This sender should be machined to accept our BCWA-G7 to keep everything compatible. A vent should be standard.

Any new news on these? I'm debating on whether or not to just baffle my tank and be done with it.

I have shared my comments and concerns with Robb. The biggest problem seems to be that his company designs these for carb applications.

Keep in mind that carb applications do not return a lot of fuel back to tank and are for older (50's to early 70's) applications that have vented gas caps. Neither case is correct for our modern fuel-injected application.

The unit, as it currently exists, does not return the fuel to the bottom of the tank. Instead, it dumps it onto the sending unit and associated wiring and does not have provisions for venting the tank. Are these significant? They are for me. They may not be significant for your application. Can the unit be modified to work with FI? Yes, but it will take some effort and/or $'s.

If you must proceed now, sump the tank. Otherwise, wait a month or so to see if Robb changes the design.
Conrad

I say Sump the tank because it won't be a month,Plus I still think trying to pull the fuel out is not the best for these external pumps I know people do it.:rolleyes: The only thing I don't like about the sump is the fittings facing the rear,and also what happens to the tank rust or do you coat the inside of the tank? And the feed is on the bottom but what about the return should it be returned to the top of the tank still? I like the way Nick did his without a sump just a fitting Brazed on the bottom.

I just purchased a fabricated aluminum fuel tank and won't be using the McRobb unit. Anyone interested in purchasing the unit that I have? If so, e-mail me at alphaenvirmgt@vnet.net. Pictures are available. I can bring it to the TurboBuick.Com Nationals at Piedmont Dragway in Julian, NC this Saturday (March 20, 2010).
Conrad
Hot Air

I just purchased a fabricated aluminum fuel tank and won't be using the McRobb unit. Anyone interested in purchasing the unit that I have? If so, e-mail me at alphaenvirmgt@vnet.net. Pictures are available. I can bring it to the TurboBuick.Com Nationals at Piedmont Dragway in Julian, NC this Saturday (March 20, 2010).
Conrad
Hot Air

Pics and how much?

Conrad
Hot Air

How about some contact info so I can talk with this guy about making another pick up that is better suited for us TB guys?

Darkcyde,
That isn't what he does. They are for external pumps only.
Conrad

I just heard from Robb that he has updated the design for fuel injection. They should be up on the web site (see below) next week for sale. FWIW, the design is not for in-tank pumps, only external pumps. Just be careful where you mount your pump as it's life could be adversely affected if it repeatedly starts up dry (no fuel in it).

Welcome to RobbMc Performance Products

Hot Air

Yes. The prototype that I have has -10 feed, -8 return!
Conrad
Hot Air

For the ultimate in stealth, why not cut a sizeable hole in the top of the tank and install an Aeromotive external pump INSIDE the tank with pre-filter. The pumps are designed to be submersed in gasoline! Who would have thought!

You could connect the pump outlet to the Robb unit and go from there. Some of the top-end street rod shops are doing that using custom ($$$$$) SS tanks. No reason we cannot do same to our tanks.
Conrad

So it's going to be like their muscle car, carbed fuel sending unit, being drawn through?:confused:

The feed tube better be drawing from the very bottom and back of the dog dish or a lot of members are going to be pissed when their cars don't start on lowish tanks of gas and inclines. And like someone mentioned, an easy way to slowly smoke the external pump due to it being dry on start ups.

They're not interested in making it an intank with -10 and -8? This would be a HUGE plus for all of us and a very valuable addition to the G Body market. I could've used this last year for sure.

I still wanna see pics, I'm interested but I'll make my own if I have to. I'm sure they know well enough to put it in the bottom of the sump. It won't dry suck any more than a fuel sock. Besides, how are you gonna fit an Aeromotive in the dog dish? Aeromotives suck under boost anyways. I'm going with a Magnafuel 4301. They will pull a suction without damaging themselves, they are relatively quiet, flow alot, pull low amps, can run constant duty, and are rebuildable.

As of yesterday its listed on his site. It looks good and he fixed all of the issues I had with it. I plan to order one soon and check it out.