Trans won't shift at full throttle

87 grand

Ain't Life Grand........
Hi Guys,

Just bought an 87 GN , problem I'm having is trans won't shift into second gear under full throttle.

It shifts fine when driving normal. Do the engine RPM'S dictate shifting?

The engine also feels like it's staving for fuel at full throttle, would this cause trans to not shift ? I've replaced the fuel pump with a Welbro, but not the fuel filter yet. The pressure regulator is from a 89 turbo Trans Am, ( Bosch 237 ).

Any answers would be appreciated,

James

Same thing happened to me when I was bringing my WE4 home. I was getting on the freeway, and notice something was wrong when my dad was whooping my butt in his 97 Crown Victoria. :D

I changed the transmission filter and fluid, and it solved it.

As far as starving for fuel, I'm not too sure on that one. Mine felt like it would kinda crap out on the top end until I changed the plugs. Go with the AcDelco CR43TS plugs. They are one step cooler, and made a HUGE difference on the performance of my car.

Get that fuel filter changed out... infact, you should do everything on the spring cleaning list. Click Here to go to the "Spring Cleaning" guide on GNttype.org.

Good luck with your car.

Glen

Glen,

I'll change out the trans filter and fluid next week. I'll do the fuel filter and plug change tonite.

Thanks for your help.

James

The car breaking up on the top end could be the valve springs. If yours are stock, you can almost be that's the problem.

Jacob

Originally posted by ONLYA6
The car breaking up on the top end could be the valve springs. If yours are stock, you can almost be that's the problem.

Jacob

I second this opinion:D I had the same problem couple of years ago. Good Luck.

Donnie

I ran into the same problem at the track the other night. I spoke to my tranny guy, he said it could possibly be the spring for the shift kit in the valve body. I backed out two clicks on the throttle cable, car shifts softer on the street. But still similiar problem. Any suggestions???

NO shiftie??

No shift at WOT could be the spring in the gov. is out and would most likely be found in the pan when you change the filter and oil.
As for the WOT missing and such. Besides the mentioned valve springs, you could be up on the rev limiter, if it's stuck in low gear.
Stock chip???

B4 you get into any "hard driving", I'd suggest the forementioned spring cleaning and a good set of gauges and a scan tool. That will help avoid early membership in the DOTC club.:D :eek: :eek: