Trans fluid is Dark

A

AsphaltAnihil8r

My trans has been shifting kind of slugishly latly so I decided to change "some of the fluid",what I do is remove the trans line going to the aftermarket cooler and fill up a 2qt jar,then add fluid thru the dip stick run it awhile the do it again..I know it's not the best way but I am lazy,beside the Fluid and filter were changed about 11,000 ago..
This time the Fluid was dark burgandy and not see thru like the new fluid ( red and clear).
Is the Ford fluid a darker color red than the Dextron 3?
Does it sound like the trans may be going soon for having such a dark color after 11k miles,the car has 38K original miles

Thanks for you time
Dennis

That happened to me no so long ago. I had strange sounds coming from the trans occasionally. I checked the fluid and found it to be very dark, even though the trans was recently rebuilt and fresh fluid put in. It turned out to be the torque converter (Stock D5 w/140,000 miles). I would recommend pulling the trans pan and looking for metal shavings or anything out of the ordinary. It's the only way your gonna diagnose your problem. With dark fluid suddenly appearing, I would definitley look for the cause, it is not normal (from my experience, but I would ask Bruce)

Good luck,
-Bob

Bob thanks for the response..:D
Anyone else out there??? I know this is a tough one but come on:D :D
Dennis

ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Does the tranny fluid smell burnt??? It has a distinct smell verses fresh fluid. I know its a pain but pull your pan off and inspect it for metal particles and shavings like Bob suggested for a better look and diagnosis.

Thanks guys ,why is this section here if I can get more opinions on this simple ????????????:rolleyes: ;) ;) ;)

Originally posted by AsphaltAnihil8r
Thanks guys ,why is this section here if I can get more opinions on this simple ????????????:rolleyes: ;) ;) ;)

I am by no means a transmission expert so I gave you a suggestion (of what I would do) instead of an opinion. If you are not getting the answers you want, why dont you e-mail Bruce or Greg Friend personally to find out what might be your problem. They are very knowledgable about transmissions and their problems. Sorry I couldn't help you more.